I resisted the urge to laugh, settling for a slight smile as I looked up to him.

"Then what can't you tell me?" I asked, still nervous for the answer.

He took in a deep breath and blew it out, painfully slow, as I waited for my answer. He crossed to the window, sitting down on the ledge and watching his fireworks for a few moments.

"I should have told you. Weeks ago. But..." He shook his head, running a hand through his hair as I sat across from him at the window. "Everything's been so terrible. And you're studying and I know OWL's are important to you-"

"Not more important than you, Fred."

He let out a small scoff beneath his breath, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands.

"That's why I couldn't tell you." He said, softly.

"Tell me!" I begged, grabbing his hand so he would look at me again.

"George and I... we're leaving. Hogwarts."

I felt like I hadn't moved in minutes, but it could only have been a second or two. Fred's eyes remained latched on my own, watching me closely as if hoping to read my thoughts from my face.

"You're leaving early?" I asked, already knowing the answer. Of course they were. That's what they had meant that night in the hallway. That's why George hadn't cared if they had been caught for the fireworks today.

"We're leaving next week."

"Next week?" I shouted, not caring if anyone could hear me over the roar of the party.

"Cass,"

"You're not leaving next week!" I repeated. "You can't! You wouldn't. How could you not tell me?"

"I don't know, I don't know, I'm sorry." He muttered, reaching out for my arm before I stood up, taking a few steps away from the window.

"I wouldn't have... I would have spent more time with you, I wouldn't have been studying every second, I... how could you not tell me?"

"That's why I didn't tell you." His eyes looked cheerless, despite glowing so vividly downstairs only ten minutes before. "I know you. You want good grades and good OWLs and you were already so stressed out about everything, plus Umbridge."

"I want you more, you idiot." I whispered, watching his mouth turn up into a sad smile.

"Please come here." He cocked his head to the side, motioning for only a second before I was in his arms, my face pressed into his chest, the cool air from the window grazing my arm. "I'm sorry. I was stupid. I'm sorry."

I nodded into his chest in agreement, feeling his whole body shake as he laughed.

"Why do you have to go? You're so close, just finish school. Stay with me." I said softly.

"You know, for once in my life, I wish I could stay at school longer." He answered, settling his chin on my head. "But now... with Dumbledore gone... someone needs to show Umbridge her place. And let's not kid ourselves, our NEWTs were going to be terrible."

"You would have been fine." I countered.

"We're going to start the shop." He continued.

"You're going to... You're really going to?" I asked, a tiny bit of sadness disappearing from my chest as I watched the light return to his eyes.

"Really going to." He smirked. "And it's not long until summer break. You'll be there to help us before you know it."

"Yeah, what help am I going to be? I can't even do magic."