Shopping Spree

Fred

I blinked into the soft light creeping into the room from around the curtains, reaching for my watch on the nightstand and jumping from bed immediately. I had slept in much later today, although this was still rather early for me over summer break. I had watched Mum and Cassidy laughing and talking all through the quidditch game yesterday and again over dinner, and I could see that she was getting closer to Ginny, but I still felt guilty leaving her all alone with them. I knew she could be shy.

I watched George flip over still asleep as I shut the door behind me and climbed down the stairs, scanning the empty kitchen quickly before spotting her on the couch with mum, knitting needles in both of their hands.

"What are you doing?" I held back a laugh, plopping down on the armchair beside them, not wanting to give mum any more reason to suspect my crush.

"Your mum is teaching me to knit!" She gave me a quick grin before turning back to her project which I had to admit looked pretty rough. Small loops hung out every few stitches as if she had missed a step, but for her first time it was decent.

"Oh, good, one step closer to an eighty year old!" I teased, earning a glare from the blonde.

"Fred, honestly." Mum huffed, sending me a much scarier glare. "Go help yourself to some breakfast, it's on the stove."

They must have already eaten, half empty coffee mugs set on the table before them. I snuck one last glance at the pair as I started into the kitchen and grabbed a plate.

I returned with my breakfast and took my spot back, watching for a few minutes as they continued their work, Cassidy sneaking peaks at mums work between steps. Cassy wore another t-shirt and long pajama pants this time and it finally occurred to me that she might have left most of her normal clothes at her dad's house, assuming she couldn't fit everything she owned into her trunk for school every year.

"Cass, do you want to go into town today? There's a book store and some muggle shops if you need anything?" I offered as if it was no big deal. We never went into town, especially the muggle ones. George and I were saving every sickle these days, and if we truly needed anything we just took the floo to Diagon Ally.

Mum raised her eyebrows at me quickly, but obviously thought it would be a good idea for the girl to get some necessities in town and let it go.

"Oh, yeah sure that sounds fun!" Cassidy nodded, linking her needles together and setting them on the table, picking the mug up and starting to the sink. "Can I take a shower first?"

"Oh, of course dear! This is home now, Cassidy, you're free to everything here!" Mum answered, nodding over to me. "Freddie will take you up, the faucet is a bit tricky."

I held back a snicker at my mother basically telling me to take the girl of my dreams into the shower, but stood up and met Cassidy at the sink, dropping our dishes to be next in line for the scrubber which was currently at work at their breakfast plates.

"Come on, dear." I said softly next to her ear, mimicking my mother and earning a slap on the chest from Cassidy who couldn't hold back her smile.

I led her past the staircase where George's snores echoed off the walls and to the small bathroom down the hall from her and Ginny's room. I opened the closet at the side of the door and pulled out a fluffy white towel, handing it to her and starting into the bathroom, pulling the shower curtain aside.

"So it is a bit finicky, but once you get used to it you'll hardly notice." I said, feeling somewhat embarrassed by the outdated bathroom we had. I recalled her saying that her father was high up in management of hotels or something, and I could only imagine what her house must have looked like.