The Weasley Twins

I peeked over towards the beds next to mine in the dim light. Hannah would sleep as long as she could without being late for Charms, I was sure. My eyes however had been open since the first ray of sunlight had peeked through the curtains in our room. I silently slipped to my trunk and pulled my sweater on, draping my robe over my arm to keep myself from sweating on the walk past the kitchen. I grabbed a black silky ribbon off my dresser and tied my hair on top of my head and checked myself over quickly in the mirror.

Before I left, I dug a book out of the side of my trunk. We had an extensive library back at home that my father was constantly adding too and which I was free to help myself to whenever I wanted, most likely just to keep me quiet and out of my his way. I pulled our door shut behind me, turning the handle as it shut so it wouldn't wake the girls and hurried down the steps and out the door into the hallway. I could already smell french toast and bread baking without even turning the corner.

When I got to the swinging doors, I pushed one in and peeked through the small gap, watching all of the house elves bustling around in a hurry to get breakfast ready for all of the students. It wasn't a good time to bother them, I thought as I let go of the door.

"Miss Cassidy!" I heard the familiar squeaky voice of Teesy and hurried to open the door again, taking a small step inside the warm room.

"Hi, Teesy, right?" I asked her, very conscious that I was once again keeping her from her work.

"Yes, yes! Good to see you again, miss, what can I get for you?" She rocked on her feet below me and I couldn't help but smile. She wore a similar pink apron as last nights, painted with flour and syrup.

"I actually brought you something, I'm not sure if you're interested in books, but..." I held out my copy of Sleeping Beauty down for her outstretched hands. "It's a muggle book, I used to read it a ton as a kid. About a princess and spells and a prince..." I trailed off, feeling stupid for not knowing if house elves could even read.

"Oh, Miss, I could not take this from you. I could not." Teesy tried to push the book back into my hands, but I waved her off.

"No, Teesy please! I have so many in my dormitory, I promise, I could never run out of books. Just borrow it if you'd like and you can give it back anytime! It's a thank you for the dessert last night for Fred and I."

Teesy's small face lit up as she flipped through the first couple pages of her gift and gave me a smile nearly as large as her face.

"Miss Cassidy is too kind. Thank you, miss. I will be very careful with your book. You will have it back soon!"

"Take your time, Teesy. I should get up to breakfast, thank you again!" I scurried out before she could protest further or offer me anything else.

The Great Hall was much chillier than I had been used to the past few hours deep in the heat of the kitchens. I breathed in the fresh air and looked up to the faux ceiling which showcased light clouds scrolling above us, doing their best to block the sun. At least Care of Magical Creatures wouldn't have us all sweating this afternoon.

I noticed some housemates who had forced themselves out of bed like me this morning drinking coffee and enjoying some french toast in the middle of the Hufflepuff tables and hurried to join them. Without thinking, I glanced towards where I had sat with the Hermione and the boys yesterday, but saw only the bushy hair of Hermione and the boys. I didn't want to keep intruding on their meals, so I set my bag down and joined Madison and Bri, keeping my back to the Gryffindors.

"Hey Cass," Bri greeted, pushing me a mug which began filling with coffee as soon as I grasped the handle. I sometimes felt that I would never get used to being at Hogwarts, especially after spending every summer with no talk of magic back home.