Chapter 24

It took just about a day for Cassian to feel well enough to leave the clinic room. He was itching to go home, to share a bed with Dotty and Harlan.

The council members had begun their investigation. Amy and Henry and their crew were getting transferred off of their land. Hopefully, everything would be wrapped up soon.

"You've been so patient and understanding to us," Cassian told Dotty as he finally entered his home. She had her arm looped through his, and she offered a pretty smile in return. "We're so grateful for you, Dot. You've changed our lives for the better."

"So sweet," she cooed, reaching up to cup his face, lowering him down slightly so she could kiss him. "I love you. You never gave me a chance to say it back."

Cassian brightened, but seemed a bit overwhelmed from the affection, so she stepped back a little.

Harlan gave a playful scoff next them. "You already told her? And you were her first kiss. That's totally unfair. I better be her first-"

"Don't even finish that." Dotty rolled her eyes, leaning up to press her mouth to Harlan's.

Harlan smiled, giving a gentle laugh at their playfulness.

"I love you," she told Harlan just as sincerely.

Harlan gave her another kiss. "I love you, too, baby. "

"I vote we take a nap in our own bed," she said. She was so happy to be home.

---

Cassian woke up to his phone ringing. He struggled to pick it up on the nightstand, squinting at the screen.

He had three missed calls from Jacob. He glanced over at Dotty and Harlan who were still napping soundly. He didn't want to disturb them, so he went down the hall to the office.

"Alpha, I am so sorry to disturb you," Jacob said. "Ellis and I have the Inguishas here. They want to talk to you. I think someone confessed."

"Alright. We'll be there soon."

"Who was that?" Harlan asked, startling him. Cassian didn't hear him get up, let alone enter the room.

"The council members have some information."

Harlan nodded. "I'll wake Dotty."

---

Dotty had dragged a chair up next to Harlan's desk so she was between her mates. She had yet to meet the Inguishas, and she was surprised at how poised they were. She expected people a little more rugged, hardened by years of dealing with criminals of all sorts.

"Henry has placed the blame on Amy, and confessed everything to us in surprising detail," Mr. Inguisha said.

"Amy and Henry are mates. They belonged to no pack, and wanted some land for themselves. Amy came up with the idea to target both of you. It's still unclear why, but it was probably because you were the closest pack to them. Originally, she was just going to target Alpha Graywood, until she heard of the treaty between your packs. It was an opportunity for double the land and double the status."

Dotty hated status. She hated that Harlan lost everything for no good reason.

"Did he confess to her using any drugs?" Cassian asked.

"Unfortunately not," Mrs. Inguisha said. "His testimony against her, as well as your evidence will be enough for a trial. Hopefully, with a little more time, we can get some information from Amy."

The couple stood up, and everyone followed suit.

"Until then, all prisoners have been transported, and we will be on our way. We will be in contact with further details."

"Will there be enough evidence for Henry?" Dotty asked, a bit worried. Everyone was blaming Amy, but who knows what role he played in it.

"He will be charged for the attack, as well as an accessory to the murder. He will probably have a lesser sentence than Amy, but it should still be significant."

Cassian their hands in thanks, walking them out the door and down to their car.

Dotty looked up at Harlan curiously.

"Well..." she whispered.

He hummed, pulling her chair closer, and turning to face her. "Well what, honey?"

"It's kind of over now."

"I can't really believe it myself. I have waited for this moment for a long time."

She leaned up to give him a kiss, wrapping her legs with his. He placed his arms around her, drawing her closer. He kissed her cheek, trailing down her neck.