Chapter 21

Harlan visible changed before they entered the cells. He straightened his shoulders and schooled his features. Cassian could see beyond it though.

Cassian placed his hand on his shoulder.

"I'm with you," he told him. "Don't let her get to your head."

Harlan nodded.

Ellis and Zeke were posted outside of Amy's cell. Zeke was a head warrior, a huge mountain of a man that towered over Ellis who was the smallest of all of them.

Cassian gestured Zeke over, out of earshot of the others.

"Do not let your Alpha Female out of your sight. Do you understand?" Cassian asked firmly.

"Yes, Alpha."

Cassian joined Ellis and Harlan. Amy had not changed much. She was blonde and petite, and still the same psycho bitch. He didn't know what the hell he had to be on to be with someone like her.

"There's the real star of the show," she cooed. "My pathetic boy toy, Cassian Graywood."

"Since I was immediately snatched up," she continued. "I can only assume that you know that the murder of Harlan's family was all your fault."

"Do you have any useful information or not? " Cassian growled. "Everyone knows you're not smart enough to pull off a murder."

Amy rolled her eyes. "Not smart? I'm the one who convinced H-" She cut herself off, smiling sickly sweet to cover her mistake.

"Convince who to do what?" Harlan asked.

"Oh, so, you do speak. I just assumed you were Cassian's dog. I guess nothing has changed."

"I could care less if you have any useful information," Harlan said. "The council will arrive in just a few hours to declare your punishment. It will be death, in the same manner that you killed my family. Stabbing, shredding, all of it."

Cassian knew that was a bluff. The council was coming, and her punishment could be death, only after a thorough investigation. It was usually a much more humane execution than whatever Harlan was going on about.

"What?" Amy visibly paled. "There should be a trial-"

"Trials and investigations are only for those who need more evidence. We have more than enough," Cassian said, playing along.

Amy took a seat on the bench. She clenched her hands to control the shaking.

"It doesn't matter now," she said. "In a few hours, the council will be too late."

"Why would they be too late?" Harlan asked.

Amy smirked, but said nothing else.

"Don't you want some credit for whatever is about to happen?" Harlan asked again.

"Of course she doesn't," Cassian answered. "She's the real toy here, just a pawn who has no real power."

That seemed to piss Amy off as she jumped out of her seat, moving closer to the bars of her cell, gripping them tightly.

"It was all my idea. The drugs, the voice manipulation. Henry wouldn't be able to do half of what he had planned if it weren't for me," she spit.

It would seem they had found her weak spot.

"Of course he wouldn't," Cassian said, following along. "Even in our relationship, you were the real person in charge."

"That's right," Amy said, looking wide eyed and crazy. "And when Henry comes storming in through here with all of the people you have done wrong, it'll be me who will rise to the top. I will be Alpha."

There was a silence that covered the room at the realization that they had enough information to figure out what was going on.

"That's why you came onto our land first," Harlan muttered. "You wanted to be able to call the shots."

She sputtered something, but they didn't need to hear anymore.

They had an advantage, knowing an attack was coming. They could make sure everyone was safe, especially Dotty.

The Alphas and Beta left the holding area.

"Beta Ellis, find Jacob. I want everyone on my side of the land that hasn't trained to go down into our safe room," Harlan instructed.

"Put your wife and daughter away and then come find us," Cassian finished.

"Yes, Alphas."

Ellis turned into his wolf before disappearing into the trees.

"What do you think she was going to try to do, coming here by herself?" Harlan huffed.

"I think she is psychotic," Cassian said, turning to face him.

He didn't seem the least bit worried about an attack. Harlan admired that about him. He wished that one day he would be as confident and fair a leader as his friend. He was a bundle of nerves himself. He didn't know what to expect. People could be hurt. Dotty especially.

"She killed or at least helped kill three people, and has no justification for it other than wanting the status of a rank."

"It's probably why she was with you," Harlan said.

"And all I wanted was for someone to love me," Cassian said solemnly. "I'm sorry, Harlan. I don't think you're going to have the answers that you truly deserve."

They entered the pack house, searching for their mate.

"It's okay," Harlan said. "I'm just ready to close this chapter, and move on."