Chapter 20

Dotty was perched on Cassian's lap, one hand gripping his t-shirt, and the other tangling in his hair on the nape of his neck.

She loved sitting in either one of her mates lap. It made her feel so safe and warm.

Cassian chased her lips. He grunted when she gave his hair a gentle tug and she smiled mischievously.

"Playing with fire, sweetheart," he mumbled. She gave him a short peck.

"I like fire," she laughed.

He released her and she moved off of him and over to Harlan.

"Do you like to watch Cassian kiss me?" she asked Harlan, trying to get a rise out of him. She liked to make him flustered.

"I like to watch you, period," Harlan smirked, gripping her hips.

He pressed his lips to her neck, and up to the shell of her ear, whispering, "I bet you're so fucking wet right now."

She squeaked, feeling her cheeks brighten instantly. "Harlan," she scolded softly.

"You totally asked for that," Cassian defended him with a short chuckle.

She pouted. "There's two of you and only one of me. I'm so outnumbered."

Harlan gave her a surprisingly gentle kiss, despite being so devilish. "We're definitely aware of how outnumbered you are, honey. I can't wait to see you at our mercy, begging-"

"Alright," she laughed, placing her hand over his mouth. "We're going to have to wash your mouth out with soap."

He smiled, nipping at her hand until she let go. It was relieving to see his playful side. They all had been high stress lately, and a quiet evening to themselves was way overdue.

He squeezed her tight, squishing her to his chest, causing uncontrollable laughter to spill from her lips.

Their little moment was disrupted by Cassian's phone ringing in the kitchen.

"Can't you just ignore it?" Harlan whined, mostly kidding. "We left it in there for a reason."

"I know," Cassian sighed, bringing his phone over to the couch. "It's Ellis."

Ellis seemed quite panicked.

"Alpha, Amy just crossed our borders."

Cassian stilled, a cold shiver running down his neck. "What?"

"Zeke and I are taking her down to a holding cell."

"Okay. Harlan and I will be right there. I want patrols to be doubled now. I want anyone who isn't patrolling to be stationed between houses, especially the Pack Houses. Put everyone on high alert."

The phone clicked, and Cassian looked up to find a very pale Harlan.

"Why would she come here?" he whispered.

"I can only imagine that it means trouble," Cassian said, stuffing his phone in his pocket.

"You're not staying here alone," he told Dotty. "You can be in the pack house where you'll be closer to us. I will have a warrior, probably Zeke, shadow you."

"Alright," Dotty said, not bothering to argue as she pulled on her coat and shoes.

The drive over to the pack house was eerily quiet. Everyone seemed lost in thought, and Dotty didn't know what to do.

She could feel that Cassian was right. If Amy willingly offered herself to be captured, that most likely meant that something would follow. Who or what.. she didn't know. That made her nervous. Anything was a possibility.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Harlan mumbled as he stepped out of the truck. He hunched over, breathing heavily.

"It's going to be okay," Dotty whispered, rubbing his back.

He straightened, pulling her close, stuffing his face in her neck. She relaxed into his touch.

She extended her arm, drawing Cassian into their bubble.

"You're both going to be careful, right?" she asked. "You're finally going to get some answers. That's a good thing."

"It is a good thing," Cassian sighed. He kissed her cheek, offering over his phone and keys.

"Call Harlan if you need us." He sperated a small silver key from the rest of them. "This one goes to the safe room underneath the house. If something happens, I need you to gather all of the kids, elderly, anyone, and take them down there. Can you do that, Dot?"

She nodded, "I can." She put the keys and his phone in her back pocket.

Harlan finally released her, giving her a gentle kiss. He stepped away, giving Cassian the space to step in.

Cassian hugged her tight. "We won't be gone long," he promised. He pressed his lips to hers, before nuzzling her head.

He whispered softly, soft enough that Harlan didn't even seem to hear.

"Love you."

He walked away before she got a chance to respond.