𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈. 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO.
1 step forward, 3 steps back.

FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS DESERVE to be cherished; I've never forgotten that

FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS DESERVE to be cherished; I've never forgotten that. Nothing beats the sheer comfort expressed by a group of teenage girls, the only problems at hand being boys, booze, and our bodies. The effortless side of that is so refreshing, as I'm reminded courtesy of Sarah and Kiara. I don't think I would've ever predicted reconciling with Sarah after our brief Freshman friendship, or would I have foreseen Kie coming into my life. Guess I have JJ to thank.

      I'm still on the floor when I watch Kiara muster up another joint, half-filling it with green and the other half being unrecognizable to me as a novice smoker, prompting me to plainly ask, "What's that?"

      "Hm?" she hums, tongue glued to the rolling paper edge.

      "What's that thing you're putting in, the non-weed thing?" I continue, my hands an added accessory to my speech.

      Noticing my subtle anxiety, she reassures, "Don't worry, I'm not spiking you. It's lavender."

      "Lavender? That's safe to smoke?" I persist.

      "Mhm," she drags on, "old trick of the trade."

      "Cool. Who taught you it?" I pipe up, piqued with interest.

      At the same time as I can tell Kiara is about to add on a snarky comment of sorts, Sarah cuts in and says, "Her ex." whilst glaring at the other girl, "Want me to spill the deets, or are you gonna be nice?"

      "Whatever. I'm over Theo— been over her." she mumbles, harboring the same energy as a dog with its tail tucked in cowardice. Something tells me Theo is a sour subject. Subconsciously, at the news of the chosen pronoun, I raise my eyebrows in surprise, which urges Kie to add, "Something wrong with that, Carmen?"

      "What? No— no, I think it's cool. I just didn't take you for a..." I drag on, aiming to avoid offense.

      "You can say it." she assures, "Lesbian's not a dirty word."