ACT ONE, the last great american dynasty.

I DON'T THINK anyone on this island really knows that much about Carmen Flores.

I mean, we all know about her and Jason — one boyfriend of many in the past. They live a vicious cycle; on one day, off the next, and on before the sun would even think of rising. That's the thing about Carmen, you can never escape her once she digs her claws into you.

She probably learned that from her dad who, like mine, also disappeared off the face of the Earth. It's funny how that's the one thing she and I have in common, because we're both entirely different people.

I doubt she even knows who I am — she's far too roped up in her Kook life to know or care. If I could switch lives with anyone in the OBX, I'd choose her. Carmen has only ever opened up to Lola, her best friend since forever... literally. A girl like her must have secrets aplenty, and nearly everyone wants to know them.

Her guard has never fallen, and I doubt it ever will. As long as Jason is still crawling back to her whenever she commands him to, and as long as Lola is still blindly following her every move, Carmen Flores is set to live a comfortable life. She doesn't have to worry about what people think or say about her, as we're all too scared to cross her wrong side.

She's the poster girl for Kook royalty, and she wears that title pretty well.

— john booker routledge's introduction of carmen flores, as she's seen to be whispering something to lola del campo at the island club