Vol. 5.5 - Contemplations

Start from the beginning

After seeing how laid back Karma could be, and with Hirata's encouragement, both her and Mii-chan decided that if they're going to camp with him, they'd need to get along. With that, Mori decided to open a conversation, but not without apprehension.

In response to her question, Karma shot her a glare, flared his bloodlust slightly, and responded with a menacing tone. "If you knew, I'd have to kill you."

Both Mori, Mii-chan, and Nanase yelped.

"You never know what a man may be hiding." He said, flipping the knife in his hand. His smile then stretched wider, showing his teeth. "Who knows? Maybe my performance last exam wasn't all for show. I could have more than a few skeletons hidden in my closet."

Mori, and Mii-chan especially were broke into a cold sweat, meanwhile Hirata just sighed, expecting something like this to come from him after being warned in advance by Ayanokoji.

"Akabane-kun." Hirata called him out.

Karma wasn't bothered by it, however. He just shrugged, rolled his eyes and said calmly: "Geez I'm just kidding. It's not like I'd actually kill you. What do I look like, a killer?"

Internally, the girls all thought "yes", while Hirata scolded Karma for his "joke".

"It's not nice to make jokes abut killing someone, Akabane-kun. Especially when you sound like you meant it."

Karma sighed as he resumed his cooking. "Okay, look. Part of the joke was to make it sound believable. It's not like I'd actually go through with it."

Hirata sighed at Karma's explanation, and shook his head, knowing that the residential sadist wouldn't just stop. Sensing that Hirata was having a hard time reprimanding him, Nanase resolved herself, and stood up to her senpai.

"Akabane-senpai," Karma was taken aback by the sound of the kouhai's meek voice. "not everyone is gonna have the same reception to your joke. Some, like Ayanokoji-senpai may be fine with it, but others, like us would feel unease by it. Please try to at least understand that some people are more sensitive than others."

Although she was still recovering from the feeling of dread by Karma's joke, she stood her ground, and firmly voiced her thoughts.

Karma looked down at the pot in front of him, and remained quiet after listening to Nanase's words. It wasn't just a Nanase's voice that rang repeatedly in his head, but the familiar sound of being reprimanded by a certain someone. After giving it some thought, he sighed and relented. 

"Fine. Whatever. You win."

"Like what Nanase-san said. I appreciate that you're willing to be open to conversation with your classmates, but not everyone can match your humor." Hirata added.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. No more of those kind of jokes. I don't need to here the same spiel over and over again." Karma said, annoyed.

Hirata nodded, and politely said: "That's good, but isn't there something else, that you should be saying?"

Karma paused for a moment. He turned his head slightly until Nanase, Mori, and Mii-chan were in his field of view, then quickly turned back to his cooking, averting their gaze in a second.

Without looking at them, he muttered: "S-sorry, I guess..." Embarrassed, he could feel his cheeks flush a bit, so he turned his back to them, hoping that they won't notice. "There, I said it." The last thing he needs is his bad boy image being tarnished even more, he thought to himself, but knows that continuing a joke like this would dishonor the man who's helped him get this far.

Once Hirata was able to put the others at ease, Ayanokoji returned. He could sense the awkward tension between the group and Karma. Karma had his back to him, so he couldn't see his expression. He shot Hirata a look that said: "what happened?", while Hirata just returned with a weak smile, exhausted for having to keep the peace.