23

"Is everyone ready?" Eric's voice boomed through the hallway, resonating with a mix of excitement and anticipation

"Is everyone ready?" Eric's voice boomed through the hallway, resonating with a mix of excitement and anticipation. He stood tall by the front door, a beacon of readiness, while Tami and Maisy emerged from their rooms dressed to the nines for the dinner. Following closely behind, Julie rushed out, adding to the buzz of activity.

"Everyone looks nice. Let's go," Eric exclaimed, his arm sweeping in a grand gesture, signaling for everyone to proceed out of the house and embark on the evening's festivities.

Maisy and Julie settled into the back seat of the truck, their expressions a blend of nerves and curiosity as they mentally prepared for what lay ahead.

"Do you have your speech ready?" Coach Taylor inquired, his voice a steady anchor amid the pre-roast jitters.

"I do, but I'm not sure about roasting anyone. Can't I just say something nice and leave the roasting to the players?" Maisy replied, her tone reflecting a hint of apprehension.

"You know they're going to roast you. You'll want to have something prepared," Eric chimed in with a knowing smile, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

Julie interjected, offering her perspective. "I think you should roast them. They've put you through hell. Don't go easy on them."

"Language, Julie," Tami interjected with a chuckle, though she couldn't hide her agreement. "But I agree, Maisy. Have some fun with it."

Maisy sighed, a small smile breaking through her reservations as she nodded in acknowledgment. "Fine. Fine. We'll see how it goes."

Upon arriving at the venue, the local VFW transformed into a hub of excitement and camaraderie for the annual team dinner and roast. The ambiance buzzed with laughter and anticipation as players, coaches, and guests mingled, their attire a blend of casual elegance and team pride.

The players, clad in their button-ups, dispersed among the tables, each conversation laced with playful banter and friendly jabs. Meanwhile, Maisy and Julie found themselves seated at the staff table, exchanging amused glances as they observed the scene unfolding around them.

"Hey, everybody! Hey! We're going to State, people!" Buddy's booming voice echoed through the venue, igniting cheers and applause that reverberated through the room. "All right, folks. Take your seats. It's time for the annual roast banquet!"

The energy surged as Coach Taylor took the stage, greeted by enthusiastic applause and cheers. "Let's kick off tonight's festivities with... the Smash!" Coach Taylor's playful roast set the tone for an evening of good-natured teasing and laughter.