9

As the sun dipped on the following Friday afternoon, the entire football team congregated at the weathered field house, anticipation in the air as they readied themselves to board the waiting bus

As the sun dipped on the following Friday afternoon, the entire football team congregated at the weathered field house, anticipation in the air as they readied themselves to board the waiting bus. Among the stragglers, Maisy stepped on board, catching the concerned gaze of Coach Taylor.

"You don't have to come if you're not up to it," he offered in his thick southern drawl, his eyes locked on Maisy's face. Her once-black eye had now mellowed to a faded shade of purple, the remainder of her visage slowly regaining its usual appearance.

"I'm fine, Coach. Truly," Maisy assured him. She claimed a front booth seat, settled in, donned her headphones, immersing herself in music, and retreated into her own world.

The bus lingered for a few more minutes until Voodoo, a figure of notoriety, finally materialized. "Alright, let's roll!" Coach Taylor's voice echoed through the bus, prompting the driver to pull away without delay.

But the journey lasted a mere five minutes before an abrupt stop. Maisy, curious, glanced out the window, only to discover they had arrived at Dillon Hospital. "Alright, folks, time to visit Jason Street," Coach Taylor announced. The players disembarked one by one, leaving Voodoo alone, still seated, his gaze fixed outside.

"Could you keep an eye on Voodoo? Make sure he doesn't wander off or anything," Coach Taylor implored Maisy, who silently acquiesced.

"Coach," Smash and Tim interjected, their objections apparent. Coach Taylor, pressed for time, urged them forward. He cradled Jason's helmet under his arm, leading the group as they entered the hospital, a sense of urgency hanging in the air.

Fortunately, Voodoo remained motionless and silent in his seat, much to Maisy's relief. She sat there, lost in her thoughts, for what felt like an eternity. Ten long minutes later, the boys filtered back onto the bus, and Coach Taylor's demeanor shifted from the amiable figure to the determined coach whose sole aim was victory.

"Alright, gentlemen, let's go out there and beat Arnett Mead!" Coach Taylor's voice boomed, and a wave of enthusiasm engulfed the boys. They cheered and bounced around as the bus resumed its journey.

"He, uh, didn't give you any trouble, did he?" Smash leaned over the seat, addressing Maisy. It was the first time he'd spoken kindly to her since her arrival in Dillon.

"Nothing to worry about. He won't disrespect me again," Maisy whispered back, offering Smash a reassuring smile. He settled back into his seat, engrossed in conversation with Dolia about the impending game.

As they took to the field, the intensity of the moment was palpable from the first few seconds. The rivalry had exceeded everyone's expectations, and neither team was willing to accept defeat tonight.