5

Maisy begrudgingly arrived for practice that morning, a sense of dread enveloping her

Maisy begrudgingly arrived for practice that morning, a sense of dread enveloping her. She donned a cozy hoodie and shorts, clutching her arm tightly across her chest. The chilly mornings were starting to creep in, while the days remained scorching hot, creating a stark contrast in temperatures. And an impossible outfit to suit her needs.

"Bring it in!" Coach Taylor's booming voice echoed across the field, beckoning Maisy to join the team huddle. She reluctantly made her way over, aware of the impending introductions.

"Allow me to introduce our new student manager, Coleman," Coach Taylor declared, gesturing towards Maisy. "I expect all of you to treat her with respect and honor her decisions. I cannot tolerate any football-related drama. So, let's keep it drama-free! Yesterday's incident should never repeat itself. Ever again. Okay, now let's get things going!" His words hung in the air as Maisy exchanged glances with Saracen and Smash. Saracen managed a feeble smile while Williams appeared completely displeased.

The team stormed onto the field, launching into their practice. Maisy remained on the sidelines, observing each play with a discerning eye. She noticed that Smash displayed a clear self-centeredness, Riggins seemed mired in melancholy, and Saracen lacked even a trace of self-assurance.

"I have to take this," Coach Taylor muttered to the assistant coach, who stepped up to take charge. "Coleman, keep a close eye on the plays. Learn them," Coach Taylor instructed as he stepped aside, leaning in to answer the call. Curiosity piqued, Maisy wondered who could be on the other end as she redirected her focus back to the practice, watching intently.

Coach Taylor returned, his face etched with a somber expression. "That's enough," he announced, his voice tinged with heaviness. "Head to the locker room. Maisy, you're coming too. We need to have a team meeting."

Maisy joined the team in the men's locker room, standing alongside Coach Taylor. His distress was palpable, leading Maisy to assume it stemmed from the day's lackluster practice.

"Um," Coach Taylor began, his voice faltering as he cleared his throat and diverted his gaze towards the ground. "Jason's paralyzed," he disclosed, his words hanging heavily in the air.

Maisy scanned the faces of the players before her, witnessing the collective shock and devastation that washed over each one of them.

"Uh...they say with physical therapy, he'll regain use of his arms, his hands, his upper body but they don't think he'll regain use of his legs" Coach Taylor continued. He paused momentarily, trying to hold back his own tears. "Now, listen up. Any of you need to talk to me, you'll find me in my office". Tim stood up from his chair, walking out as Coach Taylor finished, "or you call me any time. Do not hesitate. Now that's all for today. We'll pick it up for tomorrow"