16

The eagerly anticipated annual rodeo arrived in the county, and Maisy was particularly excited since she had mentioned it to Tim

"Have fun," Mrs. Taylor said as she and her husband dropped off Maisy. The couple didn't show any signs of getting out of the truck, so Maisy decided to disembark herself.

"Hey, uh, yeah, have fun," Coach Taylor added, eyeing the young girl who had been crashing on his couch for the past week.

Maisy beamed at the couple before strolling into the fairgrounds. She was adorned in leather cowgirl boots, snug jeans that tucked into the boots, and a cute top layered with a denim jacket. The two watched her make her way toward Tim Riggins, who had been patiently waiting.

"I have gray hairs over this Arnett Mead game! I have gray hairs over this lawsuit. And now I have gray hairs over a girl who's sleeping on our couch who isn't even our daughter," Coach Taylor vented to his wife.

"Hey, I feel the same. The poor kid has gone through so much. I mean, an abusive dad, a mother in jail, and a brother dealing drugs," Tami expressed, rubbing her hand on his neck.

The two shared different worries in that moment.

"I like him as a player. But I would never let our daughter near Riggins, and now I have to watch her walk off with him. And I can't say a damn thing," Coach Taylor muttered in frustration.

"You're right. She ain't our kid. Which means we unfortunately have to send her home soon," Tami reminded him. They observed Maisy and Tim beginning to walk away.

"Hey," Tim called out, hands tucked into his pockets as Maisy approached him.

"You came," Maisy said with relief.

"Didn't I say I was," Tim responded, running his hand through his hair, pushing it out of his face.

"I didn't think carnivals and fairs were your thing, Riggins'. You wanna ride the Ferris wheel?" Maisy asked, pointing to it on the opposite side of the fair. Tim sighed, but Maisy wasn't going to take no for an answer, eagerly attempting to drag Tim in that direction.

"Eh, I don't know," he groaned as she finally got his feet moving.

"Come on, Tim. It will be fun, unless... are you afraid of heights?" Maisy teased, and Tim reluctantly began walking towards the Ferris wheel, letting out a sigh.

The two entered the line, approaching the ticket collector. Tim offered a smile before climbing into a cart. The door was weakly latched, and the slow ascent began, lifting them higher off the ground. Tim looked down, the landscape shrinking beneath them.