Billionaire Boy Takes a Swim

…Gotham darling Bruce Wayne allegedly interrupted a memorial service for recently deceased David Iyer - the founder of Iyer Technologies - Sunday afternoon when taking his dog, Ace, for a swim in the pond at Gotham Memorial Garden…

Bruce sat behind an enormous mahogany desk, trying to look relaxed while Roland Daggett prattled on about whatever business proposition he wanted Bruce to sign off on. He'd been trying for years to get a hand in Wayne Enterprises. But there were a number of things Daggett Industries and Wayne Enterprises didn't see eye to eye on and Bruce - with Lucius's help - had spent too long righting the wrongs done before he took over as CEO. He stole a glance at the clock. Five till noon. Oh God, was Roland going to drag him to lunch?

He had too many things to do.

The Wayne Foundation’s annual charity gala was on the calendar for Friday evening. And in the meantime… R&D projects to sign off on. Meetings to attend. Ace to train. A suit fitting for Friday.

Ivy was restless in the summer heat. Joker and Harley were in a fight again and close to starting a turf war. Riddler, Penguin and Freeze were surprisingly quiet, but he didn’t trust they’d stay that way for long.

Bruce took a breath, preparing to cut Roland off when Silver St. Cloud threw open his office doors. His secretary quickly followed, apologizing profusely for the interruption.

"It's okay, Sarah. Mr. Dagget was just leaving." He gave Roland a pointed look, saying, "Draw up the papers and I'll take a look later this week." He would not.

Roland grumbled his agreement, nodded to Silver, and showed himself out. Thank God that was over.

Silver smiled and waggled her fingers at Roland, only to turn and roll her eyes once he was gone and the door shut.

“How much do you love me?” She asked Bruce, perching on the side of his desk and flicking her silvery-blonde hair off her shoulder.

“Right now?” He chuckled and blew a puff of air out of his mouth, “Oodles. Lots. So much it could kill me.” He clutched his chest dramatically. “But in all seriousness, thank you. I didn’t think he’d ever stop talking.”

“And if I told you I’ve finished the last of the preparations for Friday?”

“I could kiss you.”

Ew.” Silver made a face and pushed off his desk, moving to sit in the plush armchair Dagett hadn’t previously occupied. She crossed one leg over the other and examined her manicure, “Anyway. You can take me to lunch as a thank you. And tell me all about this.”

She produced a newspaper from her purse and tapped the front page. It featured a black and white photo of Bruce coming out of the pond at Gotham Memorial Gardens, the headline reading: Billionaire-Boy Takes a Swim.

“I wish they’d stop calling me a boy. I’m pushing thirty.” Bruce huffed. He crossed his arms, putting on a faux offended look.

“You interrupted a funeral, Bruce.” Silver sighed and tucked the paper away, “You either need a better publicist or to make better choices. But knowing you, best to go the publicist route.”

“Are you offering?”

“You can’t afford me.”

“Did you miss the billionaire part?”

“Oh, darling. There are many things money can’t buy.”

He did feel a little bad about interrupting the service. But it was better to have the media focus the attention on his ‘antics’ than the story they tried to run about Markovia’s visiting Duchess. It was his fault she ended up in the water in the first place. The least he could do was stop a slanderous, fictitious account of what happened. She didn’t deserve that. Especially not the day after she buried her grandfather.