“Yes, because she was a friend. Am I not allowed to mourn for a friend?”

The Heavens were good to Nevoria when they made sure Yuwen Hong did not have the small brain of his mother. He would be the worst emperor in history if he were like her.

“What an impertinent and insolent woman,” Grand Dowager snapped, chastising harshly. “Get up now and go back to your palace!”

“I will not!”

“Hao. Stay there! I bet you would love to rot in the dungeon when you get charged as the accomplice!”

With those words, the Grand Consort Shu bawled in tears as she stood and trudged back to her palace.

“Make sure to remove those mourning garments!” Grand Dowager instructed after her.

Unbelievable! The unruly woman always got her upset. Grand Consort Shu was undeserving of her position.

“Here, here, Your Highness. Please do not lose your good mood because of her. Remember, your health is fragile.” Grand Dowager’s court lady tried to calm her down.

The old woman took a deep breath and nodded. It was not worth it when she still had bigger matters to attend to.

“Is what I asked you to prepare ready?”

“Yes, they are waiting at the dungeon.”

“Did you speak to the Minister of Law in advance?”

“Yes, it took a lot of convincing, but he gave consent for us to enter.”

The Grand Dowager Empress laughed to herself. Even in that day and age, there was nothing gold and riches could not do, especially when it came to swaying someone.

“It is amusing that the emperor thought he could keep anyone from seeing his prisoned lover. Where there is an opening, there is a way.”

The Grand Dowager led the way to the dungeon. The place was isolated at the back of the palace.

“Your Highness, should we get you a palanquin? The afternoon sun is becoming hot and we must watch your health.”

“I am in good spirits. No problem walking.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

The dungeon stunk more than what the old woman remembered. The Prison Guard showed them to the dark cell where Li Lian was locked in, opened it for them, and left.

Grand Dowager Empress instructed her retinue to wait in the corridor and entered by herself.

She found Li Lian sitting behind a small eating table. Li Lian was dressed in rags and her hair was frizzled all over. She had lost colour and appeared to be in the worst state the Grand Dowager had ever seen her in.

No greetings came from Li Lian. Disrespectful but expected.

“Interesting,” Grand Dowager started, “this place suits you best.”

An angry stare threw daggers at the Grand Dowager.

“Now, now, do not be angry when I have come to help.”

“What do you want?” Li Lian went to the point.

“Speaking informally to me? I guess you are seeking death sooner than later.”

Li Lian did not respond.

The Grand Dowager smiled smugly. “I will get to the point. Where to start?” The Grand Dowager pretended to think. “Ah, I know where. Let us start with talking about the damage you have caused.” The Grand Dowager looked down at Li Lian in a demeaning manner. “People are protesting for your death, you were not yet ordained as the empress after all. Yesterday, rebels lit your Phoenix Palace. You have been rejected by the people and lost face.