chapter twenty one || 21

Start from the beginning

I slip out from the table and see Vittorio from the corner of my eyes with a confused, yet worried expression etched onto his face.

I rush towards the bathrooms, not caring which one I just entered. I needed to leave.

I look at myself in the mirror in disgust. This shouldn't be happening. I was over this two years ago. All that feeling of emptiness in my stomach should have been filled by now.

What was going on? Was I nervous?

I try recollecting my thoughts by taking longer breaths, but it doesn't work. It feels as if every time my breathing contracts, the length gets shorter each time.

My eyes well-up in tears as I try regaining my breaths, my hands start shaking next to me.

The door of the toilets swung open, to reveal a worried look on Vittorio's face as he quickly makes his way towards me.

He grabs a hold of my cold hand into his warm, comforting ones and allows me to take my breaths.

"Long, deep breaths, okay? Count to 10 up and down." He whispers, releasing one hand to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10.

My once shallow breathing calms down in almost an instant. My walls destruct around me as I almost collapse into his chest in exhaustion.

He places a hand on my head as the other wraps around my waist, embracing me in a soothing hug and not letting go.

"I fucking hate this, Vittorio." My voice rasps.

He hushes me and strokes my hair gently. "I know. You'll get through this. I'll make sure of it, Nailea."

Nailea?

For some reason, my name sounds strange coming out of his mouth.

I peer up at him, my head still resting on his chest. "Don't say that."

His eyebrows furrow. "What are you talking about, Nailea?"

My face stays unhumorous as I stare at him.

That dick knows exactly what I'm talking about.

He chuckles, "We have to go back, Rivera." He takes a hold of my hand as we come out of the embrace.

He turns away, expecting to leave but is stopped by the force my hand brings on him, keeping him in place.

My heart beats rapidly, the mere thought of being this close in his presence again brings back the memories of that hotel night in the dark.

I don't know what possess me to do what I did.

I hastily moved to him and wrapped my hands around his neck, standing on my tip toes.

"Rivera wh-" He starts, but I cut him off.

I shake my head, placing a finger over his lips, "Shut up for once and kiss me, yeah?" I whisper.

He looks taken a back for a second, but regains his confidence raises his eyebrow.

His head slightly tilts to the side, "Where'd all this boldness come from?" He whispers.

You're asking me.

He lifts his hand and cups my jaw, bringing his head closer to mine. I feel his warm breaths fan over my face as my eyes flutter close awaiting for him to kiss me.

But it never comes.

He pulls my bottom lip with his teeth and bites on it. "You want me to kiss you, baby?" His husky voice echoes in my ears.