Chapter 7

The day after their marriage the newlyweds stayed away from everyone, even dismissing the help so they may stay in bed wrapped in each other's arms all day.

When they were made aware that a feast was to occur that night they both dreaded getting out of each others embrace. Aemond almost downright refused to let her up when she had deemed it time to proceed with dressing herself..

The only way she ended up appeasing him was her promise of a bath together when they returned.

She was dressed in an expensive black silk layered dress. The fabric fell loosely, draping low and touching the floor any chance it could. The sleeves were loose as well, letting her arms breath.

Aemond decided he would match her and dress in all black as well. The gesture warmed her heart even if he wore black most of the time anyways.

   When they were both finished getting ready he looked utterly pitiful at the notion they would have to be in the presence of others, even if it was family.

"Mae-" She stops the words about to leave his mouth.

"No." She angles her body so she doesn't have to look at him.

"But you didn't even know what I was going to say." He refutes. She hears the sheets rustling and turns her body back towards him.

She clears her throat and begins to respond in her best fake Aemond voice she could muster. "Mae, can we just stay and not go to dinner? It will be dreadfully dull anyways." She gave him a teasing smile when she saw him sulk and knew she had summed up what he was going to say perfectly.

"Let's go." She says putting her arm out for him to take.

__________

Her and Aemond sat at the end of the table across from her brother, Lucerys and his betrothed, Rhaena.

Under the table the young married couple held hands refusing to let go of one another.

Her grandfather was brought into the hall on top of his chair, carried by guards. Everyone stood up while waiting for him to be situated.

They all lowered themselves into their chairs when he began to say something.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." He says with a wistful smile gracing his face.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asks her husband.

"Yes." Viserys replies.

Maera and Daemon make eye contact when they notice the other isn't praying as well. "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." At the last line the father daughter duo can barely keep it together, even Aemond raises an eyebrow to his mother.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed. Hear, hear!" Viserys continues, "and to my son and his niece who have just been married!" Her cheeks become slightly red from the attention that has shifted to them.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman." Maera can hardly make out the words Aegon is spewing from down the table.

"Let us toast as well Princess Maera... the future Lady of the Tides."

"Hear, hear."

"You'll be great." Baela says kindly from her spot by Jace.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that." Aegon carries on, antagonizing her brother with his words.