Prologue

In 115 AC the only thing Rhaenyra Targaryen could truly desire in the world came in the form of a daughter, Maera Velaryon. She was the only baby born to her mother with silver hair while married to Laenor Velaryon. But doubts of the child's legitimacy were still there, due to her pale skin. The only question that people couldn't figure, was who the young girl's father was, if not Laenor. The few who knew Daemon Targaryen was in Kings landing around the time Maera was conceived, believed that the father was he, but those rumors were soon silenced when the third pregnancy of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen was announced.

Though she wasn't first born and she was not a son, she stood to inherit Driftmark from her grandparents, Lord Corlys Velaryon and Lady Rhaenys Velaryon. Many believed it was due to her being the only one of her siblings with silver hair. Even with the doubts and countless glances thrown regarding the legitimacy of the young child they continued to embrace and teach her everything they knew.

5 years earlier a son was born to Viserys Targaryen and Alicent Hightower. He was named Prince Aemond Targaryen, second son of Viserys Targaryen ruler of the 7 kingdoms. He always had a connection with Maera but didn't act on it due to his mother and her ramblings pertaining to the legitimacy of Rhaenyras brown haired boys, and her misdeeds.

Maera was beautiful, no one could deny it for if they saw her they were ensnared. One look was all it took for the proposals to be made and songs to be written. She was the definition of Targaryen beauty, and to anyone not Targaryen they'd try to take that for themselves under lock and key. And as Maera got older and realized this she used her budding looks and smarts to her own advantage, manipulating who she thought deserved it into doing what she thought they deserved.

Rhaenyra always knew Maera was different, and not because she was a Targaryen or because she was more beautiful than all, but because she was a dreamer. Maera didn't know what the dreams that came when she slept, and woke her up drenched in sweat with images so grotesque she was quiet as a mouse for days meant, only that they were bad. But she never told anyone of the dreams she experienced, not even her mother, though she had a suspicion she knew what was going on.

When Maera was 7 her immediate family visited Dragonstone, her mothers castle. A fortnight later she ventured out to explore without telling anyone. She ended up claiming Cannibal 2 days later . She came back after 3 full days dirty as a pig, but she had the biggest smile on her face her family had ever seen. She was truly happy because she finally felt complete. When her parents got her to tell them what happened they almost locked her up right then and there and forbade her to ride Cannibal, but Maera wouldn't let them.

When Maera and her family came back from Dragonstone, Aemond was filled with jealousy as he heard she had claimed a dragon and now he was the only one left out. He resented her for that, but could never hate her. Because as he got older he realized he was irrevocably in love with her.

-I hope you enjoy this even though it's very rushed. Please point out any mistakes or errors you see while reading.
:)