Chapter 6

After what happened with Aemond, Maera stayed in her chambers until the next day when she was forced to come out for the proceedings involving her and if she would inherit Driftmark next.

   She stood with her mother, though she wished she could stand at Aemonds side. There would be time for that once they were married, she thought.

   "Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark." Otto continues with his speech, "As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters." He pauses. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." Otto gives him the opening to speak.

   "My Queen. My Lord Hand" Vaemond begins.

   Maera zones out for a moment and finds her gaze on Aemond. She heard Vaemonds words distantly, not grasping or deigning to register them.

   She was only snapped back into what was happening when she heard her mother begin to talk,

   "If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very..."

   "King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm." His entrance is announced.

   The echoing sound of the cane while Viserys struggles to make his way to the throne shows how much he really loves his daughter even whilst on the brink of death.

   It was almost inspiring, Maera thought, the lengths that he was willing to go for her mother.

   "I will sit the throne today." The king declares to his hand.

   "Your Grace." Otto accepts but gives a look to his daughter, he knows this isn't going to go how he thought it would.

   A guard approach's her grandsire as if to help but Viserys waves him off. "I will be fine" but contradictory to his statement he takes a deep breath and the crown falls off his head to his feet. He struggled until someone reached for the crown. "I said I'm fine." He tries to reiterate before he realizes it's his own brother. "Ah..."

"Come on." Her father whispers softly, "Steady." He leads him up the throne until he's sitting down and places the crown on top of his head.

   Viserys struggles for a moment and falls back into what looks like an uncomfortable position on the throne.

   "I must... admit... my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys."

   "Indeed, Your Grace. It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his true born daughter... Maera Velaryon." Rhaenys stands by her granddaughter. "His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree."

   Viserys looks pleased. "Well... the matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Princess Maera of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lady of the Tides."

   "You break law... and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it." Vaemond looks furious and Maera would be lying if she said she wasn't excited to see what happened next.