Chapter 3

Maera could feel the waves misting her face all the way up where the ceremony was being held. She wasn't paying much attention to it though, she was too busy wondering if this woman was who she saw in her dreams.

   She could also feel the eyes of Vaemond Velaryon staring at her as he spoke of blood running strong. He only finally took his eyes off her when Daemon snickered at his suggestive words.

   Daemon knew Maera was his child. There was no logical explanation as to how, but he could just tell. He'd always wanted a child and seeing he had one that had already lived 9 years without him only brings immense pain and sorrow.

   He would never tell her without Rhaenyras permission though. He knew how large the stakes were and how everyone would view them having a bastard child while both were married to others. It would be deeply frowned upon.

   He would never want to ruin Maeras' reputation like that.

__________

   Maera could feel Daemon's eyes on her until the end of the ceremony. Taking the place of Vaemonds that had rested on her moments ago.

   So as soon as it was deemed acceptable to leave she made her way over towards Aemond. She felt safe with him. He made her feel protected.

   When she got to his side she saw him staring at the large shadow of a dragon flying through the clouds.

   "You know Aemond," she waited until he looked back down at her then she continued, "Vhagar is as of now riderless." She whispers in his ear.

   "Yes I am aware?" He says, not picking up on where she's going with this.

   "Vhagar is riderless and therefore claimable for anyone" She states trying to get him to realize what she's saying.

   "Yes I'm aware-" His gaze had begun to once again wander before suddenly snapping back to her. "Are you suggesting what I think you are?" He whispers, grabbing her hand and dragging them to somewhere more secluded so they could talk freely.

   His eyes searched hers looking for any deception. He finds none. She's never lied to him before. And she wouldn't especially on something like this.

   "When should I go?" He knows she sees things in her dreams, he may not know what, but most in the family suspect it happens. It's hard not to when you can hear her screams echo through the halls some nights.

   "Tonight when the moon is high." She is about to go find her mother but she looks him in the eyes before she leaves through the exit of the odd stone building. "Please be careful." She pleads and walks away.

   __________

   When she finds her she catches her mother staring at Daemon. Rhaenyra was so caught up in his gaze that she didn't notice her daughter had joined her until she pulled on the skirts of her dress to get her attention.

   When her mother looks at her she voices, "I'm tired."

   Rhaenyra picks her up and starts to walk around to find someone to make sure her boys stay out of trouble, so she can put her daughter to bed. She was about to ask Rhaenys when Daemon came over after spotting Maera asleep on her mothers shoulder. "Would you like me to put her to bed?" He asks.

   She hesitates but when she sees his eyes full of hope, just wanting to hold the girl for mere minutes she gives in, nods, and gently hands her to him.

   "Please be careful." Her heart warms when she notices her daughter wrapping her arms around Daemon's neck and resting her head on his shoulder.

   He only nods before walking away to find Maera's chambers in the long winding halls of the palace. He's listening to her steady breathing when he finally finds her room and lays her down on her bed. Making sure she's as comfortable as he can make her.