I'd do the stars with you any time

"Stars are out," Julie mused quietly. "Mother nature's watching. She's getting ready to heal."

Daryl stood by her side. They were outside of Hilltop, waiting for the others to join them. He watched her face shine as she gazed up at the stars above them, they seemed to reflect in her dark eyes. She looked beautiful. His hands found her hips as he moved to stand behind her and take a look upwards too.

She took hold of his hands and pulled his arms around her.

"You think there's a reason for all of this?" he asked quietly. "Even Vincent being taken like that?"

Julie tore her eyes away from the sky to look back at him. She smiled. "Yeah, I really do."

She always sounded so wise. Daryl really wanted to see things her way, he truly did. But what kind of higher being would allow something like this to happen? To someone as innocent as a kid. Vincent had never done anything to deserve this. And Carol, that woman had had her fair share of heartbreak, why does she have to go through more? Negan... Well, it wasn't like Daryl's own slate was any cleaner than his these days. No one deserves this.

Daryl hummed and looked down as Julie turned around in his arms. She seemed to know exactly what he was thinking.

"We don't get to know why yet, sugar." she sighed and pushed his hair from his eyes. "But we'll get through this. All of us, together. You and me, Carol and Negan, we'll all come out of this loving each other so much more than we did before. We'll understand everything once it's over. It'll all make sense someday. It's just part of our story."

"I'm looking forward to the next part."

"Me too," Julie smiled and it warmed Daryl's heart. She brushed his hair back from his face again. "I'm giving you a buzzcut when we get home."

Daryl snorted. "You can try."

"Hey," Negan called as he joined them, Carol in hand. His nerves had him wired, he had his game face on. He was swinging a crowbar in his free hand, hyped up and ready for action. "You hicks ready to go?"

"Did you get some rest?" Carol asked with a quick l rueful smile that apologised on Negan's behalf.

Daryl nodded. Carol's face was sullen again and tear-stained but there was a new determination in her eyes.

"Did y'all?" Julie replied, drawing the attention away from Daryl's reddening cheeks.

"Yep." Negan pulled Carol into his side as he answered and kissed the side of her head.

"Let's go get this shit over with," Daryl concluded with a nod towards Maggie who was approaching them with at least five others.

•••

"It just seems too easy." Maggie shook her head as she studied the map of Knox's camp Bradley had drawn out under her torchlight. The group was gathered around her, waiting for their instructions. "What if that was their plan all along? They left Brad to lure you in."

"Yeah, we thought that too. It could be a trap." Carol agreed. "We should split up. Go in teams and surround them. If they are expecting us, they won't be expecting this many. We can hit them from the front and behind."

"All right, I'll take one group." Maggie folded the map away. "But Negan comes with me."

"I'll take the other," Carol quickly offered.

"Now wait a minute," Negan frowned, "Don't I get a say on where my ass is going?"

"No," Carol curtly dismissed him as their eyes met. "You promised."