Chapter 5 : Bittersweet Sugar

Start from the beginning

When Mark arrived home, his small apartment home was abandoned, he found people trying to kill him with their jaws wide open. Luckily, if things went wrong, he brought a handgun and knife, so he killed almost eight of them to get to his room. He felt his stomach turn in an unpleasant way, he had a bad feeling as he saw his door creaked open with a blood on his doorknob. Mark pushed open the door slowly, usually Sugar would greet him immediately trying to jump onto him and he would grab her to hold her close to his face, receiving licks all over. He shut the door behind him, Sugar had yet to come to him. He then heard the sound of her whimpering, his eyes widened and he ran to the kitchen. She wasn’t there. He looked in the living room and on his bed, she wasn’t there until he looked under his bed and found the source of her cries. He gently clicked his tongue a few times.

Sugar.. Sugar baby, come on. Daddy is here, what’s wrong?

He shuffled back as heard the sounds of her moving, then saw her blood stained white fur. Mark felt himself begin to choke up and his eyes fill with tears, his hand shakily reached out to touch the bite mark on her back, then looked at his fingers that were covered in blood.

Baby.. why.. why didn’t you run? Daddy is upset, come on we can fix you up right?

She growled at him when he attempted to reach out to her, he flinched back and she whimpered once more. He didn’t understand. This couldn’t be happening.

Please don’t do this.”

Sugar crawled beneath the bed, but her nose peaked out from beneath and he could see her face. She laid her lands on her paws, her blinking slow and ears twitching softly. Mark could only watch, watch as she stared up at him until she closed her eyes and was unable to hear her breathing. Mark quickly grabbed her and held her in his arms, trying to find a source of her heart beating but was unsuccessful.

No no, Sugar, no. Why couldn’t.. why? Why did this happen?

Mark held her close to his neck, sobbing into her fur and her blood coating his fingers. Overtime, her warmth began to leave her and all he could feel was her fur against his skin and the cold blood on his hands. His source of happiness was gone, his only happiness was gone when she was only running around his feet a few hours ago as happy as she can be. Why couldn’t this world let him be happy? He shakily stood up from his knees, almost falling then placing her on his pillow, leaving to grab her favorite toy that was a little fox and gently rested it next to her. Mark ran his finger through her fur, scratching behind her ear for the last time.

I.. I love you Sugar. Daddy loves you so much, he’ll.. he’ll miss you a lot.

He wiped the tears off his cheeks, laughing weakly as he couldn’t help but stare at the poor dog.

You’ve always loved my bed.

Mark left the apartment after that, jogging down the sidewalk until he began to see more of those things and ran towards the apartment Yun lived at. He made it inside and ran all nine flights of stairs until he made it to the roof, panting heavily and dropping to his knees only to cry more. He hit his fist against the ground, yelling ‘why’ until it became nothing but quiet whispers to himself. He then heard another car screech, and stood up, walking towards the end of the roof. Mark laid down once he saw a car pulling up, he took out his sniper and placed it properly. He needed to get his mind off her. He aimed at the man with a suitcase who left the car, but his shaky movements from crying caused him to miss and he quickly rolled over so the man wouldn’t see him. For around fifteen minutes, he laid on the ground, staring at the sky until he heard footsteps and he stood up with a grunt to hide. Mark heard the metal door open, he heard multiple men talking but wasn’t able to make out the words. He peeked to see two men walking down the steps, but one of them was late in following them so he took this as an advantage and ran towards him from behind. He grabbed his arms and shoved them against his back, the blonde/pink head stiffened. He opened his mouth to speak but felt the gun barrel against his head.