Chapter Nine: Under the Surface

Start from the beginning

"You'll all be fine. You've kept the place from burning down when I've been sick." Salestia waved a hand. "And I'll explain everything as soon as I can. All I can say now is that some people are looking for me."

Aza's gaze moved past Salestia to the front doors. "Does this have to do with that witch?"

"It's nothing you need to worry over." Salestia sidestepped Aza and started toward the southwest tower. "Now, I can't stay long. I need to grab a few things and go."

Aza followed, completely unwilling to accept Salestia's lack of answers. "And you don't know for certain how long you'll be gone?"

"Should only be a few days." Of course, if all went as hoped, she'd be leaving the Iron Citadel afterward. Perhaps for good.

"What will you do in the meantime? Where will you be?"

"For my own safety, I can't tell you."

To Salestia's surprise, Aza switched topics. "Salestia, I don't know if you've heard any news from Earth this morning, but there was an attack in the lightspeaker lands. A group of witches burned down a village with witchfire and sent the survivors fleeing." She paused. "They claimed they had orders from the Witch King."

Salestia frowned. "Which country?"

"Righland."

Righland was just south of Aelren. "Well, that's unfortunate. But why are you telling me this?"

"I just think you should be careful who you associate with." Aza threw a glance over her shoulder.

Salestia's brow furrowed. "You're telling me to distrust all witches because of the actions of a few? Plenty of witches no longer take orders from their king."

"Is Ellias one of them?"

"He seems to be completely on his own." Though, Ellias had spoken carefully when it came to the king...

Salestia and Aza entered the tower and started up the stairs. They passed tapestries hanging in the stairwell that Salestia had become excruciatingly familiar with. As usual, the images of Earth taunted her. One was a depiction of an animalsoul—a humanlike being with animalistic features, in this case a Raavian leopard—working alongside Raavian humans in a rice paddy field. They were completely different from shifters, who had separate human and beast forms.

Then there were breathtaking snowy mountains and Yanjenese people riding wooden boards down the slopes, dressed in flowing robes. Followed by an image of dodo birds wandering a wooded island, a species nearly lost to rogue hunters before they were saved by local plantspeakers guarding their habitat. One of the birds in the painting was clearly soulbonded to one of the speakers, their magical connection indicated by the moss growing in its feathers and its bright green eyes.

Today, all of the beautiful scenery felt within reach. Earth was so close to being in Salestia's grasp, if she could just stretch a little farther...

"Do you think the Witch King will try to take Aelren from Roven?" Aza asked as they ascended the stairs. "If they're both after territory, they might wind up going to war with each other."

"Perhaps," Salestia replied, a bit absentmindedly. She was running through her mental list of everything she needed to grab. Though, a war between Roven and the Witch King was interesting to consider.

They emerged from the stairwell. Aza stopped by the door to Salestia's room. "I suppose if you're not going to share anything else with me, then this is where we part. We assistants will keep things in working order." She offered a brief smile, but her concern didn't leave her eyes. "Do be careful."

Salestia returned the smile. "Always am." She would be cautious, but caution only went so far when you were venturing into fae territory. And a life worth living required some calculated risks.

Salestia packed a bag with clothes, her quarterstaff, and the two old daggers that had been lying around unused for years. After taking one last look at her room, not quite sure how to feel about leaving it behind for her perilous mission, she pulled the door shut and went back down the tower stairs.

On the way out, she stopped in the magic section and grabbed a couple of books on witch magic. Witches as a whole were secretive, so books on the subject were few and far between. But there was still information to be found, if one knew where to look.

Salestia waved farewell to Aza at the front desk. Aza watched with a worried expression but didn't say a word as Salestia left out the front doors.

"Everything all right out here?" Salestia asked.

"Perfectly fine," Ellias replied with a smile.

On the walk back to the inn, Ellias asked Salestia a few questions about her lightspeaking abilities. Mainly regarding what she could do beyond the trick with the light beams she'd pulled at the library. She told him of a few techniques she'd played around with. Her practice with sensing light, how far of a distance she could control it from, how much she could manipulate at once.

Back at the inn, Ellias finally laid out his plan for the night. Salestia sat on the edge of the bed as he spoke, letting her hands fidget in her lap.

"You really think I can do that?" Salestia asked once Ellias finished his explanation.

"I think you're underestimating yourself, Salestia," Ellias replied. "You told me you know a few tricks. With a little practice, you could turn all of those into something much more powerful."

"What makes you so sure?"

"I have a sense of magical energy around me. And your energy—I think it hasn't all surfaced." Ellias head tipped to the side. The intensity in his eyes sharpened as it swept over her. "You have a lot of hidden potential."

Salestia flushed under his gaze. "I hope you're right."

"I'm rarely wrong." A smile tugged at the corner of Ellias' mouth. "Now, you should get some rest before we leave tonight." He gestured to the bed. "Room's all yours until then."

"Are you sure?" Salestia frowned. "Shouldn't you rest, too?"

Ellias dismissed her concern with a wave of his hand. "I don't need much sleep. The bed wasn't going to get any use from me." He started toward the door. "I'll go study in the inn's dining room."

With Ellias gone, Salestia made herself as comfortable as she could manage in an unfamiliar place. The night's danger loomed over her, making sleep difficult, but she was able to briefly slip into a torrent of dreams. Her hopes and fears for the future closed in on all sides. And when she awoke, the memory of them filled her with renewed determination.

She was getting her hands on that sword. And no rebel, fairy, or king was going to stand in her way.