Chapter Five: Something Alive

Pieces of yellow hair drifted to the floor. The sounds of the scissors' snips were music to Val's ears. With some time before Ellias would return, she was free to cut her hair to her chin.

After she swept up the mess, it was back to her usual routine. Baiya spent most of the next few days hanging around outside the tower, leaving Val to skim books, attempt to cook something interesting with the few ingredients she had, and stare out the windows in hopes of seeing another living thing besides herself. A fox, a deer, even an unusual bird would be better than nothing.

One late morning, with noon fast approaching and Val's hair already tumbling down her back again, the sound of beating wings came from behind her while she sat at her vanity.  She threw a quick glance back at Baiya before returning her attention to her book. A painting of a part-lion, part-eagle griffin—the symbol of the Halliark family—filled the page.

When a moment passed and no word came from Baiya, Val spoke first. "You know, I've been thinking quite a bit about Ellias' little mission. I just can't imagine what he could possibly be looking for that would help him deal with, well, me." She turned the page.

"I'm here to keep an eye on you, not answer questions."

Val turned in her chair to face the crow. "What weapon could possibly kill me? Especially one wielded by an ordinary human."

"Ordinary human? Where did you—you were eavesdropping on us when he was last here!" Baiya realized.

Val shrugged. Grinned. "Not my fault Ellias didn't close the door."

"He did! I saw him do it!"

"Whatever. Doesn't change my point."

Baiya shook his head. "You're too arrogant. You've won against soldiers in combat, but I doubt you'd be so brave if you were face-to-face with a ship's cannon."

"I'll just stay away from the ocean, then," Val replied, her eyes rolling.

"They're making portable ones. Metalspeakers have begun crafting smaller weapons that fire projectiles."

"Sure."

"I've seen them!"

"Didn't say I didn't believe you." Val leaned back in her chair. "Come on, I want your opinion. Do you think whatever Ellias is after can really defeat me?"

"I—I can't say," Baiya stammered.

Val smirked and rested her hands against the back of her head. "You don't even know what he's looking for out there, do you?"

"I don't need to know."

"The witch doesn't trust his own familiar?" Val clucked her tongue. "What a strange relationship. I thought your bond was supposed to be unbreakable."

"It is. And he does trust me. But I'm new to being a familiar, and still learning—why am I explaining myself to you?" Baiya hopped across the windowsill and adjusted his wings.

Baiya had only been Ellias' familiar for a couple of years. A blink of an eye to Ellias, undoubtedly. He hadn't told Val much about his past, but he had mentioned once that he'd had a different familiar when he was younger. Val didn't know how that one had died, or even what their name had been. It seemed to be a sore spot for the witch.

Baiya's head turned toward her. "You sound smug," he said. "What do you think he's after?"

"Easy," Val said. "Dawnbringer."

Baiya stared at her blankly.

"Okay, you clearly know nothing of Aelrish myths," Val said. "Dawnbringer is a powerful, legendary sword said to belong to the Halliark line. When Roven overthrew them, a few rebels—allegedly—escaped with the sword and the princess and—allegedly—took the sword to the Iron Citadel for safekeeping."