Chapter Nine: Under the Surface

Ellias returned within an hour, putting Salestia's growing worries at ease. She hadn't expected him to run into trouble he couldn't handle, but as she'd laid on the bed trying to rest her body, it was hard to stop her racing mind from imagining all the ways things could go wrong.

"Fighting fae in the heart of their own territory will be difficult, but spying on them will be more manageable," Ellias said as he set his bag on the bed next to Salestia. "My plan is to first sneak into the Moon's Heart and confirm Dawnbringer's presence. And, while there, put a few pieces in place that should make it possible for us to steal it later."

Salestia nodded. "When will you go?"

"Tonight," Ellias answered. "If you're still willing to help, I have a plan that will make use of both of our abilities. And keep us safe."

The thought of going into the fae caverns was the first thing to truly scare Salestia, even after all she'd been through today, but her determination burned brighter than her fear. It always had.

Still, she said to Ellias, "Are you sure you want me along? I don't want to be a burden."

"You'll be able to help me. I'm sure of it."

"Then I'll do whatever it takes." Salestia rose to her feet. "But I do have one request. If I'll be keeping away from the library until matters are settled with Dawnbringer, I need to grab a few things from my room. And warn my assistants of my absence."

Ellias nodded. "Let's take care of that now. I'll mask us again while we walk, in case the rebels are still searching." His gaze lowered. "How's your arm?"

Salestia glanced at the faint scar. "Perfectly fine."

Apparently satisfied with that answer, Ellias waved a set of sigils into the air and started toward the door. Salestia fell into pace at his side.

Her mind wandered back to their earlier conversation as they left the inn. She had countless questions about Ellias' homelands. Not wanting to pester him, she settled for asking one. "Have you ever met the Witch King?"

Ellias was silent for a moment before answering. "A handful of times, a long time ago."

"Did he seem...evil?"

Ellias chuckled. "No. Whatever actions he may take, he truly cares for his witches." He thought for a moment. "And truthfully, I don't think he harbors ill will toward the rest of the world. He just believes things would be better if witches had more power."

Salestia lifted an eyebrow. "Better for the witches, I suppose."

"Witches do have a lot to offer. Our magic is more versatile than any single soulspeaking ability," Ellias said. "But there are things soulspeaking can do that we can't. The world needs balance." He glanced at Salestia. "The question is whether you believe things are balanced as they are now, or if the scales need to be tipped."

Salestia thought about that as the two turned onto the street where the library stood. There were many types of magic on Earth, but it was unquestionably dominated by soulspeaking. There were simply far more soulspeakers than any other magic wielder, witches included.

The two stopped at the front doors. Ellias opened one and gestured for Salestia to enter. "I'll keep an eye out for rebels while you're inside," he said.

"Thank you," Salestia replied with a nod before stepping in. She made it halfway to the front desk before Aza spotted her.

"Salestia! Thank the moon you're okay." Aza rose from the chair and rushed toward Salestia. "What happened? You've been gone for hours."

"I'm afraid I can't say," Salestia replied as Aza stopped in front of her. "But I'm going to have to stay away from the library for a few days."

Aza's brow furrowed. "What? Why? And who will run the library?"