Chapter 27 - St. Paddy's Day

Luke

During off-season it's all about getting back in the weight room to build up our strength and getting used to being sore all the time again. Because our football season ended earlier than expected last season, most of us have been out of the gym for more than a few months by now, only working out every once in a while, to maintain our status quo, but that's not gonna cut it if we want to win this season, so there is a lot of work to be done from now until pre-season begins. However, it's St. Patrick's Day, and any excuse to go out and get shitfaced during off-season is mandatory in the unofficial team handbook, so we're going to celebrate with our teammates at our local sports bar.

Chris and Edwards have already left for the bar. So, Nate and I are hanging around the house waiting for Hadrien, who hasn't yet graced us with his presence. Both Nate and I are wearing mandatory green shirts. We're not going all crazy with four leaf clovers and big, stupid hats, but something green we can manage. While we wait, I pull out my phone and check Insta to pass the time. I regret it instantly. The first post I see is Nancy's. They're having a party at her dorm and she's standing under a St. Paddy's Day pennant looking absolutely beautiful. Scratch that! She. Looks. Sexy. As. Fuck. What the hell is she wearing?! Is she trying to kill a man? My dick twitches in my jeans and my mouth waters as I stare at the picture. My brain just about short circuits and I'm about to run to the bathroom for a really quick jerk off when Hadrien comes down the stairs in all black jeans, t-shirt and jacket. Focusing on Hadrien quickly vaporizes my libido, and all thoughts of Nancy disappear. Thank the Lord. My hand and my dick are getting way too acquainted, with all the jerking off I've been doing lately because of this girl. I put my phone away, cocking my head at his getup.

"Woah dude, what are you wearing?

"Huh?"

"H, you gotta wear something green," I tell him.

"Why?"

"Because it's St. Paddy's Day, dude!"

"But I'm not Irish."

"Okay, I don't remember asking you, but I'll be sure to put that in my things-I-don't-need-to-know-about-Hadrien-scrapbook later," I deadpan. "None of us are Irish, H. That's not the point."

Hadrien looks puzzled as to why it matters at all.

Coming from the kitchen Nate backs me up. "Tonight we're all Irish." Nate smiles at him

"Dude, it's St. Paddy's day," I repeat. I don't believe for one minute that he's unfamiliar with the concept of the color green and St. Paddy's Day. He just doesn't want to participate in mainstream social activities.

"So you keep saying, Pretty Face. I don't see wow that changes anything."

"Because... You know what, I don't care, I give up, Nate you take over." I throw my hands in the air, faking irritation. I mean, I really don't care if he's not wearing green, but it's tradition, and if I have to, so does he. He's antithetical most days, but he has to participate sometimes and every time that happens, he becomes difficult and obstinate.

"Oh, I know it's tradition. I just don't believe in being a sheep. Conforming to mainstream consumeristic ideologies –"

"OMG! Make him stop, Nate. I just want to go out, and this dude is killing my vibe. Make him conform," I interrupt. We've heard it all before, and if we don't stop him now, we'll be here until Christmas.

"I don't know, man. H is fragile. Altering his foundation might make him short circuit," Nate jokes, looking at me and ignoring Hadrien's simmering irritation.

"Hey, ain't nothin' fragile about me," he huffs.

"Oh, so what you're saying is, not wearing black might mess with his programming? I knew he was alien but I didn't think he was A.I," I rib, completely ignoring Hadrien and continuing the joke with Nate.