Chapter 19 - Sunflowers pt. 2

Hadrien

Damn you Ollie! What did I ever do to you? And why the hell is he daring me to kiss Coco??! In these stupid games I always choose dare because I have no interest in telling random people about my personal life but this time I kinda wish that I'd chosen truth. Why Coco? Out of everybody here Coco's the last one I want to ever kiss again. Looking at Ollie I see his stupid smirk. He knows that he's pissing me off having heard me in the locker room yesterday telling Nate how I wouldn't hit that again. I'm a hundred percent blaming Ollie for this shit, but I'm also kinda blaming Nate for coming up with the lame game in the first place. All night I've been minding my own business, trying not to follow Angie's movements around the room and finally settling down, playing the guitar and singing. I didn't even notice that Coco was sitting beside me until Nate asked me to put the guitar away.

"I... eh..." I say just to say something, to stall the kiss. I look up and crash right into Kacie's grey, stormy eyes. She shakes her head at me very discreetly, and I get the message. Don't kiss Coco. Angie is sitting right next to Kacie looking all cute and... vulnerable. That's new. Whenever I've been around Angie, I always get the feeling that she shies away from emotions of weakness, always appearing strong and confident, like me. She doesn't want to appear vulnerable or breakable. She has a hard time letting people in. Even when I watch her... Jesus, I sound like a creep hiding in the bushes. It's not like I stalk her everywhere she goes, but she's hard not to notice when you're in the same room, house vicinity, as her. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here. The point is when I see her around the girls, I can sense that she's holding back. Almost like she, just like me, has a hard time accessing those kinds of feelings. And now she's holding Kacie's hand looking contrite, which seems totally out of character and... and my God, I wish I was Kacie right now. Fuck! I can't deal with this shitshow right now.

"I have to go," I answer while still looking at Kacie, and she smiles in relief. I get up, ready to leave this stupid party and take Angie with me, but then I feel a cold hand in mine. Ugh! Those cold hands, the girl runs cold. Coco. She gets up too.

"Yes, we're leaving this childish game. Come, Wonderboy," she commands me, and before I know it, she drags me away from the couch. We're almost in the hallway before I come to my senses and pull my hand away from hers. I look back at the crowd, but Angie's not looking in my direction.

"Your place or my place?" Coco asks in her most endearing voice. Even if it wasn't for Angie, I wouldn't hit that twice. She's easy and she dolls up, but she doesn't offer anything other than everybody else.

"Do whatever you want to. I'm going home. Alone," I tell her and turn my back.

***

It takes me a while to find my coat, and when I finally get outside, I find Angie standing alone on the porch. She's texting someone, and I'm dying to know who it is.

"Hi," I say, and my voice sounds wrong. She looks up at me.

"Hi."

"Were you about to text me?" I say and show her my most charming smile, but it has no effect whatsoever.

"No!" She looks down at her phone again.

"Your hair looks almost normal." It's faded to blonde with just a hint of purple, and I don't know what to say to her. She doesn't exactly have that glow in her eyes when she looks at me that she used to have.

"I could say the same about you. Looks deceive." There's no trace of humor, no smile, no laughter in her eyes. I can only guess that she's upset by Coco holding my hand. If that's the case, Kacie's right, and Angie does have feelings for me. I can't help but smile at my own conclusion.