"It's only September," She murmured as the wind blew harshly.

But she was determined.

There had to be someplace for her to stay in town.

All towns had hotels. But not all towns had hotels that allowed negros.

She knew the Lord would protect her and keep her.

Suddenly, the sound of a motor filled the silence.

Not many people back home had cars, and Hugh was the only one she knew personally with a car.

Meaning whoever owned the car was wealthy.

"Ma'am, do you need a ride into town?"

Isabella's heart dropped to her toes, and she continued walking as if she didn't hear a word.

"Miss," The man said again.

She turned to the man and smiled as calmly as she could. "No, no, I don't," She responded shakily.

"You stay safe out here."

Isabella nodded and slowed her steps until the man passed.

She wasn't stupid, but she wasn't afraid, she was only cautious.

"I'll be safe, Father. I'll be safe because You've got angels guarding me." She was sure of that.

Though, as she continued walking toward the town, her feet began to drag.

"I think I'll rest here for a minute,"

With one suitcase on the ground and the other propped up beside it, Isabella took a seat and rested her head.

The suitcases were hard, but they would do just for a moment.

A yawn escaped her lips, but she shook it off.

"Just a minute," Isabella whispered as her eyes fluttered shut.

-

What was a young woman doing in Livingston?

It wasn't a tourist town. It wasn't a well-known town.

Andrew kept his eye on the young woman as he drove by her slowly.

It was for reasons like this he had a car.

Sometimes people needed help to get around, and since Livingston was a poor town, he helped them as much as possible.

"Lord, lead that woman to safety and a place to rest before sunset,"

It was a simple prayer, but one just right.

After taking care of business in town, Andrew made his way back home.

The young woman was still on his mind. He hadn't seen her in town, though he spent two hours handling business.

He hoped it only meant that she made it without him noticing, but as the only negro in town, he would've heard something the moment she entered.

Since no one in town caused trouble, Andrew knew she wouldn't be hassled.

They were all good people who loved the Lord. Prejudice had no room in their hearts.

The people of Livingston got by on donations and trades with one another.

Andrew was the donor that kept families fed and clothed. His family founded the town eighteen years ago with a promise to care for those in need.

It was a refuge for poor people, all people.

His parents did all they could for the town until they passed, but the charity of the Quinn family remained as Andrew continued their efforts alone.

He took joy in helping people, service brought him closer to God, and it was all he did.