Chapter 4

{ Grian's POV }

When the bell went off I was excited because I could finally go home and grab some food, as well as see Mumbo. We had agreed to meet at the front doors of the school at lunch and at the end of school so that we didn't have to walk home alone, and so we could catch up on each other's days on the walk back home.

So with that in mind I followed Scar around for a bit to see if I could identify my surroundings at any point and be able to find my way out of the school. I had no luck though so I tugged on his arm gently. He looked back at me with a slight confusion and I almost froze up.

"I-I uhh, do you know where the main entrance is?" I asked shyly, earning a little laugh from the other.

"Of course, come, I'll show you!" He said enthusiastically as he grabbed my hand and started guiding us back the way we came for a little bit before we took another turn and the main doors could be seen at the end of the hallway.

I swear this place was like a maze.

"T-thank you." I said as I let go of his hand and started walking in the direction of the doors.

I heard a faint 'You're welcome' as I did so and turned my head just in time to see Scar smile and leave. Seeing his smile from all the way over here it was just as vibrant as it is close up which made me realize just how bright and bubbly his smile truly is. Very. Very bright and bubbly.

I stood timidly at the side of the doors waiting for one of the many people flooding by to emerge from the crowd and be Mumbo so we could go home. It happened a little later than I would've hoped and when it happened, he wasn't alone.

There was someone next to him who had fluffy looking dark ashy brown hair with the sides gradually shaved to harmonize with the hair on top of their head, which seemed to be long enough to reach under their nose. That nose in question held a golden septum ring which fit their light tan skin tone quite well. They were also wearing a grassy green shirt tucked into grayish blue jeans. They seemed nice, but looks can be deceiving so I wasn't going to trust them based on appearance alone.

"Grian! I made a friend, this is Iskall." Mumbo said as he motioned to the other beside him.

They smiled shyly and held their hand out for me to shake, "Hallo." They added nervously.

I nodded in a way to say hi, not really wanting to speak or shake their hand. I felt a little bad when I noticed them retreat back to their original position with an uncomfortable expression. They shifted awkwardly where they stood and after a short pause that felt like hours they spoke up again,

"I should probably get going, it was nice meeting you both, Mumbo and.... Grian?" And with that they were off to someplace I was not aware of.

Silently, Mumbo and I started walking off in our own direction as well and surprisingly he didn't try to strike up conversation on our walk back home. That was strange because he's usually very talkative and he always has something to say after as low as an hour in public. I didn't question it though and decided to just focus on the present and what I was doing right now. Walking.

When we got home and Mumbo reheated last night's pasta for lunch he seemed to gain back his loquacious nature and positive attitude. He sat down excitedly at the table and slammed both his hands down flat on it at the same time, scaring me slightly, with a wide grin while the pasta was in the microwave.

"What do you think?!" He expressed loudly without any clear indication as to what he was asking me about.

"What do I think of what?" I responded in a confused manner.