-34-

ROSALIE POV

I'm sat between Peeta and Chaff as we all wait for our individual assessments.

'District 11, Rosalie May. Report for individual assessment.'

I walk in and stand before Plutarch Heavensbee confidently, "you have 10 minutes to present your chosen skill."

In blood red paint, I write 'Snow' on one of the plastic manikins and stab a spear, dipped in the red paint, through his chest. Without a word or any acknowledgment, I walk out. It's not like he can hurt me any more than he already has, it's Snow's turn to feel hurt.

Caesar Flickerman starts the show, "thank you for being here tonight on the eve of the 75th Hunger Games. We have never seen anything like this and we will never see anything like it again. Because tonight, on this stage, 24 of Panem's brightest stars will vie for the ultimate crown. Tonight will be their final opportunity to express their thoughts, our final opportunity to express our love. And heartbreakingly, to say goodbye to all but one. What a night. Let's hear it." The audience cheer and applaud. "It's so exciting!" Caesar laughs.

All the Victors are angry, nobody wants to go back into the arena so we will all say what we can to stop the games, to convince the Capitol.

"Boo," I jump as Finnick appears behind me having snuck into my room, his arms snaking around my waist. I'm wearing a black dress. Simple. Elegant. Deadly. And solemn. I turn in his grasp to face him.

I hit his bare chest where his shirt is open, "don't scare me, Finn."

"My apologies," he kisses me on the lips. It's short but said a lot. "Hey, I just want you to know that what i'm about to say out there, I mean every last word."

He leaves me confused as he rushes to get to the stage.

"Finnick, I understand that you have a message for somebody out there. A special somebody." Caesar chuckles as Finnick smiles, looking down shyly. "Can we hear it?"

"She's closer than you think," Finnick laughs with the crowd who think the message is for them, "I'm just too nervous to say this to her face. My love, you've had my heart since the first day we met and I didn't even know it, and you'll have my heart til I take my last breath, maybe even after that. It kills me that i've just figured out how I feel about you and we won't even get the chance to see where it takes us. If I die in the arena, I'll be honoured to have you by my side, my Rose."

The crowd throw cries of sympathetic complaints as Caesar shushes them, "Rose, as in Rosalie May?! My, my, oh dear indeed, our favourite ship finally sailed but too late..." It was no secret that Finnick and I are not only both desired but are 'shipped' together.

Johanna soon came up and she was mad, she swore a lot: at the Games, at the Capitol, at Snow.

"Rosalie May! My, my, it has been a while. You've blossomed into a beautiful young lady, hasn't she," the crowd agree. "Now, did you catch Finnick's speech."

I smile a real, sad smile, "I did."

"And you feel the same about Finnick?"

"He's my happiness," my eyes tear up slightly and the tears are real. "I can't imagine my life without him. If he goes down, I go with him." Caesar wiped his eye.

My hand absentmindedly traces the infinity rope design necklace around my neck.

"What is this beautiful necklace, that's an infinity is it not?"

I nod, "its a gift. From Finnick, that he'll always be with me."

I'm stood with Johanna backstage when Katniss comes out in a white dress.

"Really a wedding dress?" Johanna asks in shocked disgust.

"Snow made me wear it," she mumbles.

Johanna and I smirk, "then make him pay for it."

Katniss' wedding dress lights up into flames, transforming into a mockingjay and I can't help but think of little Rue. Her stylist would pay for that, just like mine might for the dead rose at my parade.

Peeta, sneaky clever little Peeta, reveals a secret marriage and baby on the way. It would help if Katniss was a better actress but nobody is perfect.

I see Haymitch toast to Peeta, who joins us at the top of the stage and we all hold hands and raise them, standing together strong as one.

Then the lights cut.