-20-

ROSALIE POV

I smiled and waved at the crowds of people from my District upon entering but my eyes were searching the crowd for two specific people.

Then I see them. I push through the crowd, it doesn't take long as they were near the front, and immediately Luna's arms are wrapped around me as she cries, I wrap my arms around her too, my head buried in her shoulder as I try not to cry.

She pulls back telling me how glad she is one of us came home and how much she'd missed me. As I'm looking at her, I feel bigger, stronger arms wrap around me and I instantly feel safe. I allow my head to lean back as I close my eyes for a moment, relishing in the first peaceful moment I've felt since my name was called.

I then turn around and wrap my arms around the taller boys frame looking up at the face that belonged to Apollo, "I'm so glad you're okay," he whispers as he strokes my hair, my head buried in his chest.

Apollo and Luna Clay moved in with me in my house in the Victor's Village and I kept my promise to Ralph. I kept living.

Despite waking up to the tempting desire to stop trying and to allow the deep pit of pain and depression to engulf me, I kept waking up every morning and living my hellish life because if I didn't, Ralph would've died for nothing and I'd break my promise to live. I wouldn't give in and take the easy way out, I'd do this one last favour to him, my friend, my Ralph.

One day, I was in the small market when I saw a small girl, no older than five maybe, trying to buy a small amount of food with her pregnant mother who was holding a small child, no older than two. There was enough food in hand to serve a possible two people and that'd be a stretch. The girl was small with thick dark hair and dark satiny brown skin with innocent eyes. I walked over to the same stall and heard the man say they didn't have enough money.

"I'll get it," I say, knowing I have more than enough, "add these too." I point to another amount of food and he adds it to the pile obediently. I pass over the money with a 'thank you' and take the heavier stuff before telling the girl to grab the rest.

"You're the new Victor right?" the mother asked.

"That's right ma'am, need a hand getting this back?" The older, tired, woman nodded.

"I'm Rue," the small girl, with a quiet voice to match, smiles up at me as they lead me to their shack, and open the door.

Rue leads me to the table where I place the food that I'm sure they'd make last a while.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. What can I do in return, anything." Rue's mother says.

"No, no, nothing, honest. Just tryna' do some good with the resources I now have." I turn to Rue. "Ever need me, come find me, 'kay?"

She nods and I leave the small house to let the family continue with their day, feeling a little lighter than I did that morning.

I had a few nice quiet months with Apollo and Luna to recollect myself before being dragged off to my Victor's tour.

It was awful, I had to stand in front of crowds of people who might've knew the person I killed, or standing in front of families whose child could've come home instead of me.

I read the cards given to me by Liana and did as told, trying to get it over with as quick and pain-free(ish) as possible.

Despite only being thirteen, I was still constantly surrounded by Capitol adults, both men and women, for the whole night of my Victor's party to end my tour.

At said Victor's party, President Snow had requested my presence in his office. I'd obliged (having no other choice but to do so) and what he'd told me had been rather disgusting. Apparently i'd become rather popular among the capitol, especially with older male citizens. He wanted to sell me once I turn of age, once I turn sixteen. Until then, he wanted me in the Capitol often to make contacts and meet people at numerous parties. I was horrified at what my future held, refusing of course, but he threatened Apollo and Luna. So I had no other choice. I knew I'd be spending more time than i'd have liked in the capitol now.

It felt great to be back on the train heading home to District 11 after having to put up with my team.

Mikel isn't bad, he's not your usual self obsessed, obnoxious capitol citizen. He actually seems to care.

The three ladies, however, are your typical capitol people. They don't care for any tributes well-being, they care that it makes them well known, it increases their status. They love the Hunger Games and are actually very passionate about them. It makes me rather sick actually.

The escort for our district is no better. She's a complete stress head who only cares about herself. The first conversation we had after i'd come out of the death arena (where I'd helped poison a girl, killed a boy, watched my best friend die, killed another boy, then killed the last girl) was about how happy she was that I'd won. Not because I'm alive, not because i'm safe, but because maybe she'll get a promotion.

However, my happiness didn't last long.

I soon received a letter along with two peacekeepers from the President himself to escort me to the Capitol for a party. The peacekeepers had been sent to bring me to the mansion where I would be taken to the President. I remember our previous conversation as clear as day.

'It's come to my attention that since you won your Games, you've become rather popular. I have some friends high up who are in need of pleasure between Games and will be willing to pay a considerable amount for your time. Of course, not until you're of age but for now you can begin making connections."

The next reaping was nearing and, sooner or later, we'd be in the square once again waiting to hear whose names would be picked from the bowl of death.

I couldn't help but feel a wave of anxiety in the pit of my stomach. The feeling loomed over me for the weeks before the reaping, the gnawing feeling that President Snow was about to take another person I love. 

I spent most of my time with Apollo and Luna, it felt better that I could properly feed us now. Luna didn't look so skinny and fragile anymore, and Apollo had also put on some healthy weight.

I also see Rue, helping her family when they need it. We'd given them Ralph's cow, they needed it more than us. Besides, I couldn't bare to look at it without seeing Ralph stood besides the cow with a smile on his face that would soon turn pale and bloody.

The reaping came a lot quicker than i'd hoped and soon enough, it was the night before and me and the Clay siblings were sat at the dining table eating supper. It was quiet. A thick layer or tension surrounds us. No words needed to be spoke, we knew we'd all be praying for the same thing tonight.