twenty-four

>CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: THE DANCE<

"Larys remains firm on having you supplanted as Daegon's regent," he explained, entering the room with a letter on his hand

"Larys remains firm on having you supplanted as Daegon's regent," he explained, entering the room with a letter on his hand. She scoffs - continuing to rock her second son, Daelon, to sleep. Larys was an idiot who tried to scheme behind her back - but she had eyes everywhere. There were rumors about Saera - that she burnt her husband to death. "It does not matter, no one believes him." she dismisses, earning a groan from her husband.

She was quick to underestimate the firefly, but Daemon knew that Larys' treachery ran cold and deep. "Mysaria tells me that he is Alicent's closest confidant." he reasoned, a prompt sigh escaped her mouth.

She was under the impression that there would be freedom after her marriage to Daemon - but after Harwin's death, chaos followed. "I do not wish to return to the Capital. We're fine here, Daemon." she sighed. He takes a callous stop towards her, pressing a soft kiss on the top of her head - he looks down on his son, smiling.

"There are vipers upon your father's throne - prowling and sucking the blood off our dynasty. Alyssa tells me that our tapestries of Valyria have been replaced with those of the Seven Gods." Daemon elaborates, wanting to return home and make a massacre of the Hightowers. "I know - we must defend our home." she groaned, biting the inner corner of her lips.

"We'll return to Kingslanding." she breathed - longing for the embrace of her daughter.

She could hardly recognize the red keep. Its walls held pictures of the Seven Gods - bloody symbols that reminded her of Maegor's war with the faith. "Muña," Alyssa smiled - running to embrace her mother.

Saera's daughter has grown into a beautiful lady - with silver curls and dark violet eyes. "Alyssa," she smiled - pressing a kiss on her cheek. "I saw the carriages from my room, then our sigil." she beamed, glancing at Viserra and Daelon who were wrapped around the arms of their father.

"Is this them?" she laughed, running to carry Daelon. "He looks like your mother," Daemon notes, adjusting Viserra on his hips. Alyssa nods, staring at her little brother's face. "He has the same nose," she added, her brother steps down from his horse. "Alyssa," he greets - eyes searching for Helaena in the crowd.

She wasn't there.

"Daegon," his sister smiles, leading them towards the warmth of the castle.

Daemon shoves the curtains of his brother's bed away from his face, his eyes ever softly peeking on the body laying down. His brother was writing in pain and agony - a mere shadow of his old self. "Kepa," Saera beckoned, sitting on the bed. There wasn't a great love between them, for he favored Rhaenyra the most - but for Viserys' grandchildren, he adored all of them equally.

"Alicent?" he asked weakly, eyes narrowing to see the figure in front of him better. His eyes were milky, his face showed signs of sickness. "Tis' Saera, kepa." she corrects with a soft voice - and he hums. The cause of his headaches. "Ahh, I see." he hums, staring at his brother's face - who hasn't aged a day since marrying his daughter.

"Brother," he greets - a shadow of a smile on his face. Viserys looks at the children in front of him. "And who are they?" he smiled, showing his teeth that were half black. "Viserra and Daelon. She is five, and Daelon is a year old." she introduced, placing a hand on her daughter's head - showing her father that they were strong - and of true Targaryen blood. "We named her after you, brother." Daemon added, hoping that Viserys was sane enough to appreciate it. Saera looks behind her - motioning for her oldest son to come closer.

"This is Daegon, kepa - he is Lord of Harrenhal now." Saera nods, combing through her son's thick hair. A chuckle escapes the king's mouth - "No longer the little boy that used to sit on my lap," he continues chuckling until his body bucks due to the pain that he was feeling.

A hurtful groan escapes his mouth, one of the maesters attempts to take a step closer. "Give me my tea," he demanded - a servant hands him a goblet of white watery liquid. Before Daemon could stop him, he was already guzzling down the substance, emptying it - and not sparing a drop.

Saera and Daemon share a confused glance. Daemon takes it from his brother's hand, bringing the goblet closer to his nose - smelling the contents. "Milk of poppy," he whispers - watching as his brother falls into unconsciousness.

Alicent lowered her eyes under questioning. She began to curse the day that they arrived, for their line was hard to fool and not easily sent away - unlike Rhaenyra.

"He was not like that when we left him." Saera's lips thinned, Alicent began to scowl. The Princess has been gone for six years, change was far due.

"His health has declined, and on the advice of the maesters-"

"The same maesters who have kept him addled on milk of poppy, so you and your father could warm my brother's throne." Daemon interrupts, sitting coolly on the gothic chair. He stares at his nails, finding them more interesting than the sight in front of him. "If you think it unnecessary, then you should see him without it. He's always in pain - the poppy allows him to drowse into comfortable sleep." she reasons, Daemon rolls his eyes.

It was clear where the Hightower's loyalty was, not to the realm or House Targaryen but to their own. "You cannot convince me that your decisions are for the realm, when Alyssa tells me that you plan on giving Driftmark to Lord Vaemond - stripping Prince Lucerys of his titles as heir - and by extension, my sister's claim to the throne." Saera accused.

A bitter chuckle escapes the Queen's mouth. "My decisions are for our family, my princess. Who is it that has taken care of your daughter during your absence? None but me." she reasoned, pretending that she was given a tedious task. "Alyssa has done well on her own, not because of your guidance." Daemon clears his throat, beginning to stand up and walk towards the ladies.

Alicent's eyes widened - realizing that she wasn't getting away from what she's done. "As a matter of face, I proposed an engagement for Princess Alyssa years ago to the King." she brought up - the couple raises their eyebrows. "A marriage between her and my son, the king tells me that he would provide them a castle if the marriage pulls through." she endorsed.

Daemon clenches his fists at the thought of his little girl married off without a choice. "You may leave, Alicent." he enunciates her name, showing her that there was no respect for traitors that attempt to commit treason.