twenty

>CHAPTER TWENTY : DRIFTMARK<

" - Lady Laena is taken by childbirth, my prince

" - Lady Laena is taken by childbirth, my prince." The handmaiden keeps her head low, trying not to stare at the woman beside him. Daemon's lips turned thin at the notion - too many women lost in childbirth. His hands snake around Saera's waist, holding her close in fear that she'd leave him. "You are dismissed," he looks at the servant, before returning his full attention to his lover.

"We have lost more women to childbirth than disease and famine." he gritted his teeth, angered that another Valyrian woman suffered under the hands of Maesters. "Poor Laena," she sighs, leaning into his embrace.

Laena was her friend - and they'd always be together when she visited the Capital. She was a fiery spirit that sought to set the realm ablaze with her fire. She was married to a sea-lord in braavos. He died a few months ago - leaving her two daughters, and a heavy stomach. "I assume that we'll be in Driftmark in a few days," he breaths - happy at the thought of riding his dragon.

"Lady Laena is Rhaenyra's good-sister, father wouldn't risk not being in Lord Corlys' good graces." she responds, burying her face in the crook of his neck. " - Rhaenyra was stupid to bed a man who looked nothing like her or her husband." Daemon rolled his eyes, avoiding the fact that his children were bastards too.

For a second, he understood why Rhaenyra and Harwin loved their strong boys. Children of one's blood and the fruit of one's love always held a spot in a person's heart - but he couldn't excuse the treachery and shame they brought upon House Targaryen.

"It is hard to find a healthy Valyrian boy, kepus." she teases while playing with his silver locks. " - and I don't like sharing."

Laena's funeral was a solemn affair - only close family and allies were allowed to attend. Saera would have offered her condolences if it weren't for Lord Vaemond's snide remarks about her husband's fidelity. She held her ground, watching while Laena was thrown into the sea.

"What is your name?" she reaches for the girl's hands, ignoring the prying gazes of the guests. "Baela," the girl replies, staring deep into the older woman's eyes. "I'm sorry about your mother," Saera comforted, and the girl leaned into her embrace - wrapping her arms around the Princess.

"You are a strong girl," she smiles, rising to her feet.

It was late at night when someone came knocking on Saera and Harwin's chambers. "Open the door," she groans - shaking him awake. He rolled the sheets over his head, pretending that he didn't hear anything. "Harwin." she says firmly and with a scary voice. He stands up, groggily walking towards the door. "What requires our attention at this late hour?" he complains, eyes closed while he converses with the handmaiden.