ANASTASIA'S BEGINNING

An old Korean trot song played through the house as the Choi household bustled around, sorting things out for lunch after mass at church.

"Ana, dear, set the table would you?" Anastasia's mother called from the kitchen where numerous side dishes were being poured from plastic containers into smaller pots.

"Yes, Mum," The girl replied, her feet dragging from the living room to the dining room, pulling out the drawer that contained the plates and chopsticks and spoons.

"Oh, I do love that song," Her father came in, sporting an old t-shirt and some trousers from long ago, taking a seat. "I remember listening to it in my high school days,"

"It was always very popular," Her mother nodded in agreement. "All the parties back then featured the most famous trot songs of the era,"

Anastasia grinned. She was used to her parents speaking of their teenage days, back in Korea. They missed their home, she was sure of it, but the two nurses had done everything they could to make Ana's life in England the best they could, and she was grateful for it.

The Choi's had also been a very musical family, and whilst Ana liked listening to the hymns they sung at church, what she loved most of all was listening to the K-pop groups that had seemed to emerge. Their raps and singing and dancing intrigued her even as a child, and had become the basis of her dream.

An idol.

"Mum, Dad," She began, earning their attention. "If I say something, will you two get mad?"

"Depends on what you say, dear," Her mother tilted her head. 

Anastasia took a deep breath. "I want to become an idol,"

Her parents exchanged knowing looks before they settled once more on their daughter.

"We know," They chorused together, and for a second, the Choi girl was taken aback. How could they know? She had told them that medical school would be her ideal choice of course to take in less than a year.

"You really think we didn't notice you looking up entertainment companies in Korea that were having auditions?" Her father smiled.

"Or how you were practicing raps from all those boy groups you listen to?" Her mother began to laugh. "It was extremely obvious that becoming an idol was what you wanted to be the most, after all, you didn't exactly skip for joy when you said that you'll go to medical school,"

"But you're not mad?" Ana was still in disbelief. "I mean, the two of you came to England so that we as a family could have a better future, and your only daughter wants to go back to Korea for a job that could take years,"

Her father was still smiling. "Well, we were a little concerned, but you were made for the spotlight, Somi, and no-one, including us, is going to take that away from you,"