They stood the best chance of getting in and eliminating the threat before the Romulans got wise.

"And I'll make the same choice time and again if it means protecting Keiko," Miles declared. "She'll be right peeved when she listens to the message I left. Furious."

He could just picture it. Miles was attempting to be jovial, but deep down it made him sick to know just how hurt Keiko would feel.

"She'll probably curse me for the rest of her days," Miles said. "But at least she'll get to have them."

Tasha glanced down. With a pang of remorse, she eyed the empty spot on her finger where her ring had once set.

Pity. I was just getting used to it. Tasha thought.

-X-

Data sat forward in his chair. He was holding the ring up to his face, studying it as he turned it over in his hand.

The isolinear chip they had left as a group was playing in the background – but Data had long ago tuned out such a message.

In addition to a group messaging explaining their decision to Captain Picard, the four had left individual isolinear chips.

There was one for Keiko, Data, Worf's parents, and Commander Riker's had contained both a farewell to Deanna and an apology to Wesley.

Data hadn't been able to bring himself to listen to Tasha's message.

Fortunately, their message had included their target destination.

Dalmeade.

Data was furious with himself for not seeing it earlier. Tasha had been quite thoroughly occupied with her tablet the night before. In fact, she had fallen asleep reading about Dalmeade.

At the time, Data had presumed she was simply reading about planets in the nearby area. Research was a necessary part of the job, and most Starfleet officers took it upon themselves to read information about the areas they travelled through and to.

Data had to remind himself that Tasha wasn't thinking clearly. Her judgement was impacted by the nanocytes that had embedded themselves in her mind.

It did little to reassure Data.

Somehow knowing that their critical thinking skills were compromised only intensified Data's concerns for this spontaneous, unauthorised mission.

Data was having trouble focusing. This was one instance in which he wished that he could toggle his emotions off.

Resolved that he needed to do something – though still unsure of what that might be – Data rose from his chair and headed off to inform the Captain.

-X-

"I'm just concerned that a ship-wide announcement may not set the right tone," Picard sighed. "I don't want to start a panic. We may not find anything."

There was no guarantee the Romulans were constructing an illegal subspace communications hub.

Though all signs point to such a conclusion. Jean-Luc thought.

And even if there was one underway, it may be impossible for them to locate it. The Romulans were, after all, the foremost experts in deception and subterfuge.

The door chimed.

"Come," Picard called out.

Beverly stepped inside and from the look on her face it was evident something was terribly wrong.