Renegades Ocs Short Story

Evelynn looked around for her poison tipped arrows. They were running low on poison now that Nova had betrayed them and taken Leroy with her.

Everett darted from place to place in his room. Throwing open draws and tossing away blankets but finally he spotted the silver glint of his dagger. Muttering under his breath he stalked out the door and yelled "Eve where is my dagger sharpener?!"

"I don't know!" Evelynn shouted back. "Everything is so disorganized right now!" She sat on her trunk and gazed at the picture she had of her aunt. The glass was slightly cracked, but you could clearly see the smiling woman with big hair holding hands with two little girls. Only, one little girl had her face blacked out, scribbled and torn.

Everett started walking down the hall toward the pile of belongs in the middle of the room. Hmm he thinks maybe I put my dagger sharpener  in that one bag.  He starts rummaging through the pile tossing away glittery dresses and scarves. Finally he found the white bag and opened it the sharpener lay inside. He grabbed it pulled out his dagger and began to sharpen it.

Evelynn rubbed her temple. "What if we fail? What if all we do is make fools of ourselves?"She fell backwards onto her bed, her silky silver hood flowing like liquid around her. "It's just. . ." Evelynn paused, wondering how to explain this to Everett, who had grown in isolation. "My Aunt always told me that I was going to do big things one day. I was going to change this world, make it mine." She sighed. "She said that to Nova, too."

Everett rolled his eyes "yup and Nova gave the whole world superpowers such an accomplishment." He sighed "listen Eve what we're doing is going to help everyone. All those people who got powers are a danger to themselves and we're helping them. You see that right?"

"Yes, I know," Evelynn still remembered the days after she manifested, when her terrified, prodigy fearing mom sent her to her aunt. Her power was out of control. "But we don't know what could happen to us. So. . . could you do a quick check into the future? Just to be safe?"

"Not really nessasary since we're going to win but ok." Everett tapped his head ten times then lay down the floor and for a brief moment his eyes glowed white and images raced past so fast that he could barely see them. Finally he stood up "good news or bad news first?"

"Uh-oh. Bad news?"

"Well the bad news is that we aren't going to see the traitor today but." His expression twisted into a malicious grin. "It turns out we have a little songbird  that will lead us straight to the helmet and the traitor."

"The helmet?" Evelynn asked, closing her eyes. The power that came with that. Enough to give or take away all of the superpowers in the world. Enough to make the world her own. "Wait a minute," she said, realizing something. "Could you see the future without the whole ordeal if we had the helmet?"

"Ummm not sure probably?"

"That would be awesome! The worth of our own prophet!" Evelynn exclaimed. "Wait. What do you mean, a little songbird?"

Everett grinned "I mean we have a person who will be willing to help us on the inside. From my visions I can tell that she has some sort of metal detecting power. She can lead us to the helmet."

Evelynn stood up, her silk cloak cascading down her back, her eyes bright, and in that moment, she felt the most connected to her aunt that she had been from the moment the last bee flew away.

"Okay then," she said, a smirk playing on her lips. "Let's go find this little songbird."

----------------

Evelynn landed their levitation with a grace perfected by years of hard work. While most people would only see recently-turned-prodigies playing around with costumes because they failed to understand hard work and tight control, they had to make sure that they were seen by nothing who could report them to Nova, who would instantly recognize them as Oven and Bloodmoon.