"Did you have a daughter?"

Carther nodded hesitantly.

"She survived. The assassins found her. They took her back with them. She is safe!"

"Really?" He grasped my hands. His eyes filled with tears. "How? How do you know this?"

Everyone looked at me. I hesitated. "Because I am an assassin." I lifted my sleeve, exposing the assassin's insignia. Their eyes widened.

"I'll be damned," Kelrith muttered. "You better not spout that information to anyone else. Not many people like the Assassins."

I nodded slightly, now realizing I had spoken without thinking first. Then again, the Blood Brothers already knew I was with the assassins. It would be only a matter of time before news spread.

"How did you end up here?" Carther squinted his eyes towards me.

"Yeah. Doesn't the King have a killing order out for any assassins?" Bargonaan whispered.

"I don't know why the Blood Brother's didn't kill me. We were headed to negotiate with them when we were attacked. The next thing I knew I woke up here. I don't even know what happened to my comrades."

"There must've been a deal. The blood brothers have a weakness for good deals, but somehow it must be more valuable than killing you. From what I recall the assassins and the Blood Brothers have a strong alliance. They must have made a deal for just you." Carther explained his theory.

"For me? I don't think you understand. They attacked us. There was no time for agreements."

"I'm sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. Look, these people would never pick a fight with the assassins. Believe it or not, those two are allies. I have seen the assassins exchange goods with them a lot," Carther continued.

"Maybe the Blood Brother's betrayed them?" There had to be another reason.

He shook his head.

What they said couldn't be true. Vermilion had spent all of his time training me. He even entrusted me with Debynn's sword. Vermilion would be coming for me. It was only a matter of time. The sword was here after all. He would not let it fall into the wrong hands, especially after what they worked for; as well as what Debynn died for. Yet here I was, a few days after I promised Vermilion I would protect the sword with my life, and I didn't even know where it was.

"Your assassin comrades, I imagine, are still alive. Otherwise, we would've heard about it. Which means there must be someone among the assassins that sold you out. What I do not understand is why they sent you here, instead of giving you to the king?" Bargonaan stroked his chin.

That was a disturbing thought.

"If Carther says it was an inside deal then I would believe him," Bargonaan crossed his arms. "He seems to know everything about everyone."

"Well, let us hope they haven't told the King they have a captured assassin. Otherwise we might have some unwanted company." Palleas finally spoke up. But his gaze immediately fell back on Beatra, who was still talking to Trogan.

"Yes. Let's hope they want to keep you all to themselves. You need to watch your back. Especially around that one." Bargonaan gestured behind me.

"Beatra?"

"I assume she hasn't told you why she's here?" Kelrith asked.

"Well, I haven't asked her."

"You haven't told her you're an assassin right?" Carther and Palleas waited for me to answer.