Chapter 13: An Avalanche, Absol?

Mitsuki returned to the hostel and began gathering some supplies. It was late at night, but she wanted to get it done so she could go out early in the morning on the 22nd and search Route 17 for a Sneasel.

She knew from Lillie that Gladion had been dying to catch one of these Dark-Ice types and evolve it into Weavile ever since he was young. Since as soon as Gladion was well they were going to investigate the anomaly further, she only had until Christmas to catch the Pokémon and return home.

She checked weather reports, scanned local shops for useful information and items, and even talked to fellow trainers online about catching Sneasel in Kalos. She got lots of help from specialist trainers and even some from a local Kalosian-caught Weavile a local trainer brought to her after recognizing her from his mother's shop.

For safety's sake, she kept Silvally and Eirene on her at all times, but left Umbreon and Nymphia in the care of Heather and Chloe--who were in on the gig with the Eevees--during the day to bond.

The day of the 22nd, she left the hostel with little idea of when she would be back. She had set everything up: a Mamoswine, maps, a backup hotel room on the other side of the pass, everything. She'd thought of every possible danger and planned for it. She didn't go visit Gladion that day. Or the next.

On Christmas Eve, she packed up her things one more time and left the hotel she'd booked close to the entrance to Route 17. She took her team--Blaze, Kyra, Silvally, Eirene, and Twilight--and picked up the Mamoswine. She was in luck that day. The local trainer caught her as she was leaving to travel Route 17 and gave her information on where he saw a group of Sneasel.

"Hope your friend appreciates the effort you're putting into this!" the trainer called as Mitsuki rode away.

"Oh, he will." She felt confident that Gladion would appreciate this effort.

The hours ticked by as Mamoswine ambled toward the place where the group of Sneasel were last seen. Mitsuki didn't like the look of the snow drifts next to her further up the mountains. But, she wanted to catch that Sneasel and make her friend very happy; after all he'd done for her he deserved it and so much more. So she pressed on.

The plot of land near the entrance into Anistar City was surprisingly empty. Confused, she slipped off her Mamoswine and asked it to plow around in the snow and search for any sign of life. Didn't take him long to find it.

A sleeping Abomasnow--larger than any Mitsuki had seen--was disturbed in the rooting around, and was likely the cause of the absence of other Pokémon. Mitsuki went right in with Blaze, who was lower leveled but had an advantage due to her Fire typing. That didn't work very well due to the leveling difference.

She went with Kyra next, even mega evolving her, slowly chipping away. But, to her dismay, even Kyra failed to bring it down, even though Kyra had a double-advantage due to her Fighting-Steel typing. Twilight went next, and failed. Eirene went, and hung on longer but also failed. Finally, she pulled out Silvally's Premier Ball and gave him a Fire Memory. It was her first experience using a Silvally, and therefore the RKS System. He chipped a little further into Abomasnow's defense and, like others before him, did decent damage, but not enough. Somehow, this Abomasnow had the move Earthquake, which it only learns through Technical Machines. This Ground Type move is super effective against Fire Types, and was what took down Blaze earlier. This took down Silvally too.

"Silvally!!" Mitsuki cried, rushing to the Synthetic Pokémon's side. All of her on-hand Pokémon were fainted, she was alone, her phone had no service; she was helpless. Abomasnow was stomping through the snow toward her. Terrified, she held Silvally close, praying he would wake up soon. The massive Frost Tree Pokémon raised a fist to crush her into the snow, powering up what was obviously Ice Punch.