A Pair of Wings (Short Stories)

Ink's POV

  I laid lazily in my bed, staring out the window. Everything was white outside as there was a heavy snowfall the night before. The window was frosted but I could still see the icicles on the roof and the houses of my neighbors.

  I closed my eyes and began to fall asleep once more. However, I jolted awake when something suddenly hit my window. I slipped out of my bed and approached the glass. There was snow on it, not formed ice from overnight but it was actually from the ground.

  Looking down, I smiled when I saw who had thrown the snow at my window. My two sons, Gray and Jammy. I also noticed that my driveway had been shoveled by them.

  I quickly slipped on my wedding ring and brown scarf before rushing down the stairs. I opened the door and instantly was greeted with my children. I pulled both Gray and Jammy into a warm hug.

Gray: Hello mama.

  He said sweetly. Jammy greeted me the same. We pulled away from the hug after a few minutes of standing out in the cold.

Me: Come inside. It's freezing.

PJ: We have stuff to bring in first.

  My youngest said as he motioned towards Gray's car. I leaned slightly to the side and saw that his car was filled with things in the hatchback. I nodded and proceeded to help them unload before it got any colder.

  Once everything was moved inside, my children took off their jackets and hung them on the hooks next to the front door. I felt bad that I had nothing prepared for their arrival.

Gray: We had brought some decorations because we didn't know if you had done it this year but I guess we were mistaken.

  He said while looking around. I had the tree up this year and it was even adorned with most of the ornaments that I had owned. Ribbons were hung over the TV stand and there was a small winter village set up near the living room window. Flowers had been placed next to Error's photo on the bookshelf.

  I sighed sadly. I wished Error was here to experience this Christmas with us. However, I was planning on visiting him little after lunch when it was warmer becase of the sun.

(Time Skip)

  I pulled the car into the cemetery before parking it under a tree. Gray and Jammy grabbed the flowers that were in back and followed me past the many tombstones.

  Eventually we found the stone with Error's name on it. It needed a bit of cleaning and the flowers were due for new ones. I wiped off the snow and took out the wilted plants. My two sons placed in the new ones, arranging them to look better.

Me: Hello Error.

  I said quietly to myself, gently rubbing my thumb against the name that was etched into the stone.

Me: I'm sorry for not visiting last week. I was busy with some art commissions for the holidays.

  I said with a guilty tone. I knew that Error would have been okay with it but I would be unable to hear it.

Me: Is there anything you would like to say?

Gray: Yes actually.

  He nodded, elbowing Jammy to get his attention. My youngest looked startled for a small second before opening his mouth to speak.

PJ: I passed all of my final exams, dad. Although it took a lot of help from Gray. Also I joined a small choir that did some caroling for nursing homes.

Gray: I joined the group as well. I submitted my portfolio to an art company to get a job as a graphic designer to help with designing logos.

  After paying the rest of our respects, we left for our car. Turning on the vehicle, pulling out of the cemetery, I looked in the rear view mirror and looked at my sons.

Me: Dad would be proud of you two.

Gray: Thank you mama.

He said as he stared at the street that passed by at a fast pace.

(Time Skip)

I stood at the coffee brewer, waiting for it to finish making coffee. Once it was done dripping I picked up the mug. A smile appeared on my face when I took the first sip of the warm beverage.

Walking into the living room, I saw Gray curled up under a blanket in the corner of the couch and PJ watching the television and waiting for me to return. He was slowly munching on a chocolate covered pretzel as he was entranced by the holiday movie that was playing.

He had been sat on the floor in front of the coffee table. A card game was on the wooden surface as we had been playing together since it was just the two of us still awake. Like always, he was the one winning.

My second child glanced at me as I joined him on the floor. I picked up my deck of cards and motioned that it was Jammy's turn. He stared at his cards before placing one down, telling me that he won the round when I read it.

Me: How was studying for the finals?

PJ: It was okay, a bit difficult though. Gray was patient with me as he normally is.

About an hour later, the game had ended and Jammy and I had relocated to the couch to finish our second holiday movie. I gently petted my son's head as he rested it on my lap. He slowly closed his eyes and began to fall asleep. I smiled warmly as my son curled up to peacefully sleep.

The movie had ended but I couldn't move. I leaned back against the couch and stared at the ceiling. The decorations from the tree were the only things providing light in the room after the TV was turned off.

I thought about Error. So much he has missed because of his lost battle from cancer. Many holidays I had spent without him, only seeing him through a name on a stone constrained in one spot.

Closing my eyes, I imagined the warmth of his body against mine as we cuddled on the couch together. This subconsciously made me touch my wedding ring in sadness. I whispered to myself.

Me: I love you, Error. I miss you...

Happy Holidays