七.

Supposedly, today should've been students' rest day.

Yet here she was, trudging through the hallways with another notice regarding a mission. Still recovering from the previous fight, Yin inhaled deep, greedy gulps of air to make up for her lack thereof earlier.

Despite defeat, her expressions showed little to no disdain, only sunken by the little rest she has. Yami and Akari had both volunteered to assist her in the field mission, but she knew she couldn't let them take it on. Hence, chipped nails hastily shove the paper into her pants' pockets, quickening her pace afterwards.

The talisman around her waist had fully released its grip, returning to its overly long belt form. At this, her lungs gluttonously sucked in the space, filling the belt again in innate worry that it might be taken away.

However, her body is the only one giving appropriate reactions of physical fear. Her mind pondered to the convenience store, which was near the location this mission coincidentally was also assigned. This time, she wishes she could have enough time to try the kikufuku.

Even without a sweet tooth, her mouth waters at the thought of any food, having had its urges suppressed since her last two missions. Subconsciously, her steps travel faster and faster until she reaches a brisk sprint out the school gate. Her pockets do little to hold onto the light piece of paper, unknowingly letting it slip from the tiny depth.

Regardless of the note's departure, Yin already knew the general vicinity; and though her memory was somewhat faulty, she could always just dig for the curse.

Maybe that's why she's taking her sweet time in the metro instead of using her cursed energy to get there as quick as possible. A little ignorant to the implications for her tardiness, Yin drinks in the blurred views outside the windows instead. Meanwhile, scant people were more transfixed by the grey-haired view, thanks to her not-so-low-key, rugged attire paired to her youthful, exhausted appearance. Fortunately, during early noon hours, all students would be at school and office workers at their jobs. Which lightens the heat she bears on her back from the fewer judgemental stares.

Everything seems awfully serene, with abruptly fresh sunlight permeating through the glass windows, frequently blocked for a few seconds by passing trees and buildings. Her ears tune into the metro wheels' soft rumbling underneath her feet, translating into vibrations cooing her shoulders to melt. Burdensome eyelids titters on the edge of shutting, yet her pupils begrudgingly keeps it open to have a view on how many stops before she had to depart the tranquility.

4; she hopes that the metro could make the four stops last longer and bathe more under the lazy sun, as she spots a row of vacant seats. Wasting no time, she makes her way to the row, ready to indulge in her perfect personal bubble. Her bruised back meets the hard, steel seats, yet she has never been more comfortable.

Her hand reaches for her jacket to pull it better over herself, a tad chilled thanks to the blasted air-conditioning system. Ironically, a minute after that, she could feel heat radiating off her side. Through fluttering lashes, she saw a navy black blur. It doesn't capture her slow thoughts, until its buttons capture the sunlight at the perfect moment and gleams the jujutsu high crest.

"So irresponsible," lithe fingers block her vision before she could take a clearer look at the person, showing the very notice she had dropped earlier, typed words smudged by dirt specks, "takin' your time when people's lives could be in danger."

Yin doesn't specifically remember anyone's voice in the school yet, often trying harder to not be overstimulated by their loud chatter. Yet, she doesn't bother to take the notice and see who was behind it. She probably has an answer to who it was, but the curtains over her eyes were too heavy for her to find out.

"They'll be okay," head against the window behind her, the serpent's lashes would finally meet her cheekbones, resting above it as her jewels viewed the firework show underneath her eyelid, "just wake me up when we're there." The paper crinkled slightly at her request. Before she slipped into a nap, her voice wasn't completely monotonous. It held spirit beyond sarcasm and blunt quips. Maybe it's because the sun radiated just right; or the train's wheels reverberated just right; or the silence lingered just right.

The sorcerer behind the paper couldn't tell if she was asleep or not. There weren't any tell-tale signs such as snoring or even dream-talk. All that was to be seen was her silhouette through the paper, a shadow casted by the incandescent rays behind them both. Her head was slumped back, but she might just still have one eye open to peer at the sorcerer's identity. Furthermore, she was never one to be hyperactive or erratic in her movements, so stillness wasn't a new look on her.

Reluctance adorns the hand holding the note when it gradually lowers inch by inch. But half-way through the slow process, the hand completely drops back onto navy black uniform, fingers picking at the white edges. Following suit, snowy locks too meets the fabric, alongside inky sunglasses. Beneath the tinted glasses, his expression lied unreadable with eyes screwed shut and the paper covering his brows. Yet, when he sits back up, his face returns to a neutral stance, still indecipherable by bystanders.

The glasses were tilted at a minute level towards the girl sound asleep beside him, scanning her from head to toe. And doing it maybe a few more times before returning to the notice in his palm. Weighing up on the lines, the snowy-haired boy's shoulders tensed up alongside his deep inhale, whilst his exhale was dwarfed by the station announcements and opening doors.

"We have arrived at..."

Three more stops to go. The lengths he goes to satiate his nosiness.

In silence, he glances at his slumbering senior, before scooting a few seats over to the opposite end, leaving the seats between them vacant yet filled. Fishing out his phone from his pocket, he would skim past the unread messages sent from his two classmates. Considering that they had official classes today, he expected as much. Hell, he wonders how his teacher is looking like, probably interrogating his friends on where he is.

GETOE; @CANDYSHOJOP dude wya??

SHOKOKO; yaga's askin' for u gojou

GETOE; we have classes tdy

GETOE; r u trying to get detention

SHOKOKO; don't say u forgot

SHOKOKO; why do u never check ur phone when it's important

Chuckling at the urgent messages, he would leisurely tap in his reply.

GOHOE; js tell him i'm sick or smth 8-)

GETOE; he didn't buy it

SHOKOKO; no one wuld :/

GOHOE; u 2 suck @ lying :-#

SHOKOKO; u suck @ not getting us in trouble

GOHOE; ur welcome :-D

GOHOE; tell him i'm doing field learnin 2day

GETOE; bro he's gonna kill u

SHOKOKO; wht field learning r u doing anyways

GOHOE; pest control

SHOKOKO; ?

GETOE; ???

Shoving his phone back into his pockets, the prodigy would fix his eyes back onto the station indicator, before staring out the opposite windows from them. Through the semi-reflective surface where their figures were displayed, he could see the small patches of fields filled by crops.

"Field trip, huh?"