27 | so close yet so far

After class, I find myself at the sports block where the hockey locker room is located, waiting for Haechan.

The double doors soon swing open to reveal a group of rowdy, sweaty twenty-somethings, and I cringe at the sight. It doesn't take long for me to spot the familiar brown-haired boy, and I push myself off the wall I was just leaning against.

Haechan rolls his eyes as he approaches me, his entire frame seemingly engulfed with his duffel bag and other hockey gear. "Couldn't you have just went ahead without me?"

"You know I can't," I spit, and he rolls his eyes again.

"Remind me why you're dragging me into your stupid lovers quarrel with Mark Lee, again?" He asks, and I ignore him as I walk towards the exit, Haechan following suit.

After the... incident, two nights ago, Mark hadn't reached out to me at all, which only aggravated my annoyance towards the boy even more. Sure, it was just a petty fight, and while I have to admit that I was rash at him at some point, so was he.

I had resorted to spam-texting Haechan about what had unfolded, but he had only returned my numerous messages with a yawning emoji.

Bitch.

"I don't want to be alone with him when he's mad at me."

"He's not mad at you," Haechan sighs, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "Mark Lee can be a pissy brat if he wants to, and the reason why he was being one yesterday might have something to do with you cozying up to Lee Taeyong."

His assumption makes my cheeks flare up— Mark? Jealous? Yeah, no.

"You're insane," I scoff.

"Because you guys are driving me insane!" Haechan groans, hiking his duffel bag further up his shoulder. "When are you two just gonna admit that you like each other?"

"He doesn't like me like that," I mumble, not really having anything to say to defend my case.

"Yeah, we both know that's a lie, Yena. You like him, and you know he likes you too. Why aren't any of you making a move?"

I sigh, knowing that he is right. I've always had the feeling that Mark might like me back, and Haechan's statement only confirms it even more, but would it really be wise for us to confess to each other under the circumstances that we are in?

The rest of the walk outside of school is silent until Haechan manages to hail down a cab, and we shuffle in the back seat.

The plan is to go to Seo Industries for a debrief since we didn't really get to do that the night we went to Black On Black, and I'm not sure what to expect— what more with Mark and I not being on talking terms. Hell, I can't even remember why we're so angry with each other.

When the building comes into view, I can't help but to feel slightly nervous. Haechan leads me to the top floor where Mr. Seo's lab is located, and the door looms before me when Haechan raps his knuckles against the frosted glass.

I'm not given the time to ready myself when the system beeps, and the door opens to reveal Mark.

His face is passive, just like it was two nights ago, and his eyes linger on me momentarily before he pulls it open even further, giving us space to walk in.

Haechan wastes no time in dragging his gear inside, soon leaving Mark and I by the entrance. For some reason, I'm frozen. I'm not mad at him anymore, but the air between us is awkward, and I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to say something.

Clearing my throat, I avert my gaze as I step inside, deciding that not saying anything would be the best for now. I don't make it far, however, when I feel a hand capture around my wrist, and I turn to see Mark staring at
me, as though he wants to say something.