22 | a way with words

Chaerin approaches me before wordlessly handing me a small plastic bag.

"What's this?" I ask, accepting it from her nonetheless

"For your bruises. You look too ugly with them," she says bluntly.

I scoff, a hint of a smile already creeping up my lips. "I think I look quite badass."

"Yeah, don't let Sera feed in to your fantasies." Chaerin rolls her eyes before flopping down on the couch.

I fumble with the plastic bag, the material crinkling under my touch. "Chae, look. I'm sorry."

"I know," she mutters, not meeting my eyes as she focuses her gaze on our dying succulent on the coffee table. "I'm sorry too."

Before I could say something, she continues. "You're right. As worried as we are about you, you're capable of taking care of yourself."

"Still, that doesn't warrant my behaviour." I take a seat next to her. "I was a huge bitch."

"Well, one of us has to be a bitch in this friendship and it's definitely not me."

I hit her arm with a pillow, and Chaerin snickers softly.

"So... truce?"

Chaerin turns to me, grinning widely. "Truce."

The tension that has been lingering between us finally dissipates, and I feel relief all over. At least that's one thing off my plate.

🕸️

I walk out with Mark from the auditorium, him slinging his bag over his shoulder casually.

"I didn't understand shit," he mutters as we sift through the crowd. "Can you tutor me?"

I let out a chuckle, and Mark looks at me weirdly. "What?"

"I don't know. It's just weird how you're just some... guy, by day. But by night..."

Mark rolls his eyes. "I am not just some guy."

We finally make it out of the Human Sciences block where there is considerably less people, and Mark turns to me. "So? Is that a yes?"

"Fine," I give in. "Come by Moon's after your science club, then."

"Oh, I actually don't have science club on Fridays." Mark shrugs as we continue walking. "I only moved it that one time because Mr. Seo needed me the day before."

"Yet you still 'overslept'," I mutter, and Mark nudges me.

"I was busy saving the city."

I hum mindlessly as we make the short distance to Moon's, and I waste no time in putting on my apron the moment we reach while Mark settles in his usual seat. I don't need to wait for him to tell me his order, settling his usual donut and coffee before him as he takes out his study material.

My colleague from the previous shift bids me goodbye, and soon leaves only the two of us in the donut shop.

"Hey... so, you know how I'm supposed to be on break while my... you know, gets fixed?" Mark quips, and I raise my eyebrows at his crypticness. I don't blame him, though— with the way our lives have been tumbling around this past month, it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Yeah... where are you going with this?" I ask, sitting down on my own stool behind the counter that separates Mark and I.

"Well, Mr. Seo's taking an awful long time to finish it," Mark mutters as he takes a bite of his donut. "I've just been thinking about what you said. The tattoo. I want to know more."