Chapter Thirty-One: Losing Myself-

Start from the beginning

    She took the other chair in the room, leaving it where it was, against the wall. She was out of my sight, sat behind me, to my left. I didn't bother turning around in my chair to face her, but I felt awkward having my back to her, too. I was about to leave, thinking it was best to leave her alone with him, when she started speaking. 

    "I know how much Logan cares for you," she said, her voice sounding weak and uneven. I turned my head to the side, to face her as much as I could, without turning in my chair. "I want to thank you, for making him the happiest I've ever seen him." 

    I cast my gaze down at her feet, not finding much truth in her words. I didn't see how I could have made him happy from the way I acted. I couldn't believe her words. But I nodded, not trusting my voice to even work if I tried to speak. I turned my face back to look at Logan. 

    After a few minutes of silence, I realised that that was all his mum had to say to me, which was my cue to leave. 

    My hand seemed to tighten on Logan's hand against my will, knowing I was about to make it let go, and it didn't want to. But I finally forced our hands apart and stood up, wiping at my nose and eyes as I made for the door. Before I could leave, his mum said one last thing, stopping me with a hand on my wrist. 

    "He really did care for you," her eyes bore into mine intently, obviously seeing my disbelief from earlier. She held my gaze for a few seconds, before releasing my wrist and turning her attention back to her son. She sat down in the chair that was by the bed, and placed her hand where mine had previously been. 

    I swallowed, nodding my head against the tears, and left before I could give myself the chance to break down. That was definitely not something his mum needed to see at this moment in time. 

    As I made it to the entrance of the hospital, outside into the cold chill, I knew it was time to go back to the flat. I couldn't avoid it forever, and Nate was most likely at work anyway. Besides, I needed something to take my mind from Logan and distract me for a little while. Though it would definitely be a hard thing to do, it was worth a try. 

    So I caught a cab back to the apartment. Luckily the driver was the moping type, that simply stared at the road with a self-pitying frown on his lips and sometimes mumbled a few words to himself. I didn't have to act like I was paying him any attention, thankfully, so I just watched the streets and people merge into one, as we sped past them. 

    The cab dropped me off at the corner, and I walked the rest of the way to the apartment, as usual. Today wasn't really as cold as it first seemed. I guess I was just used to being inside the warmth of the hospital. I sluggishly made my way up the stairs, all the way up to the floor of my flat. Opening the door with a sigh and preparing myself for the worst. 

    I expected Kyle to come storming down from his room, shouting and spitting at me about where I've been, and why I haven't been making enough money. But apparently he wasn't in, because none of that followed as I entered the flat. I wasn't quite sure anyone was in, actually, because it was entirely too quiet. 

    I made my over to the room we all slept in, surprised to see my sleeping bag was still where it should be. After not showing up for three nights, I would've thought one of the lads would have claimed it for themselves. I was also surprised to see Alex and Tyler sitting in the room together. Granted Alex was on the sofa, and Tyler was sitting far away from him on the other side of the floor. But still, they were alone in a room, together. 

    I looked from one to the other, but none of them said a word. I wasn't particularly surprised, since the last thing I said to Alex wasn't exactly the nicest of things, and Tyler, well, he simply wasn't a very polite person in nature. I raised my eyebrows and leaned back against the wall, by the door, unsure of what to do with myself.