It was a simple pleasant day in the small village where Irina lived. Who is Irina? Just the owner of a cozy and modest bakery. She loved her work and since her village was small, there was never much excitement or stress.

"Good morning, Ms. Irina!", exclaimed, cheerfully, a little boy, of about 11 years old, as he ran up to the counter that the old woman was behind of.

"Oh, good morning my dear! Same as always?", questioned the lady while picking up her pastry tongs and using them to pick one of the croissants, that was on display, to cut.

"Yep!", replied the boy as he opened one of the pockets of his backpack and took out a small wallet.

Smiling, Irina cut the croissant and placed a few slices of cheese and ham on it, before putting everything inside a small paper bag and handing it to the child. "Here you go, dear." Thanking her, the child, being a regular customer, hands the woman the right amount of money. Not a penny more and not a penny less. Putting the wallet and the little bag in his backpack, the little boy says goodbye and runs out of the bakery towards the bus stop, just as usual.

The day, after that and as rutina, was pretty quiet. Just a few exchanges with customers, some children buying sweets and cakes, and a few "rebellious" teenagers who got along well with Irina, sharing their musical tastes and asking to use the cigarette machine.

And speaking of "rebellious" teenagers...

"Hey Grandma!" a voice said just after the bell above the door sounded. Looking away from the coins she had just put in the cash register, Irina sees her dear edgy grandson. "Arrow!" happy to see him, Irina quickly goes over to her grandson and gives him a big, big hug. "Look at you! You're so big! How are you? Have you been sanitizing your piercing? How's the dating going?" questioned the sweet-talking, animated grandmother, examining the small metal in her grandson's nasal septum while squeezing his cheeks.

"Heh, I'm fine, Grandma. Yes I have and it's going very well. My boyfriend is a sweetheart to me, he even gave me a big stuffed Melody for my birthday!" says Arrow with a silly smile and a slight pink tinge decorating his cheeks, which makes the old woman smile. She has always liked that soft boy and from the beginning she knew he was a good partner for her beloved grandson. "That's nice, my dear, I'm glad for that."

Before she could ask any more grandmotherly questions, the cute moment between grandmother and grandson is interrupted by someone entering the pastry shop. "Oh... The chicken is here. Great." the person, in a voice full of irony and disgust, says.

Frowning and rolling his eyes, Arrow replies already weary of the presence of such a living being, "Hi Grandpa..."

An intense silence soon settles on the scene, so intense that it could easily be cut with a knife. Disgust and anger were perfectly visible in both men's eyes, it was almost as if they both wanted to kill each other. Somewhat tired of that deadly silence, Irina says "José, Arrow... Please..."

Fortunately, that silence is broken, but the hatred was still quite perceptible between those two. "Uhg! What is this sinner doing here? He doesn't have a corner to wait on?" "JUST BECAUSE I'M BI DOESN'T MEAN I'M A SLUT, YOU PIECE OF-"

"Enough!!!" interrupts the elderly woman, already tired of the argument, even though it had barely begun. The two are silent and after a minute, Irina sighs, puts a hand on her grandson's shoulder and asks quietly and with a kind smile "What brought you here, dear?"

Looking at her for a second, Arrow soon calms down, smiles and replies "I came for Carrot! I miss that donkey!". At the mention of such a donkey, Irina's blue eyes sparkle and her smile widens slightly, before disappearing as soon as her husband opens his mouth. "Uhg! What do you two see so good in that donkey? He's just a dirty, stupid animal!"

This time, it is Irina who loses her mind. "He's our friend! He's part of the family! He's not stupid or dirty! In fact, he's a thousand times BETTER than YOU!" she exclaims a frustrated and impatient tone, before taking her precious grandson's hand and leaving the pastry shop, anyway, it was already close to closing time and that arrogant and prejudiced old man could take over the business, after all, he also worked there from time to time. Outside the pastry shop, the old lady turns to Arrow and asks in an unsure and slightly frightened tone, "Did I do this right?"

"Are you kidding? You were amazing, Grandma!" replies the grandson with a proud smile, before turning to the large window of the pastry shop, looking at his grandfather and giving him the middle finger before continuing "Besides, you can't keep being his toy, you have to show who's boss here, show attitude."

As unsure as she was, Irina agrees with him with a slight smile, happy that at least she had a good grandson who supports her and helps her whenever he can. It was always Arrow who called the police when she was made a punching bag by her husband, it was always him who stood up and defended her from that horrible old man, but unfortunately, the old man had never been arrested because he was a friend of one of the corrupt police officers.

Putting this thought out of her mind, the old lady takes her grandson to her humble home and straight to the small stable where Carrot was feeding on some straw.

"Carrot!" shouted Arrow excitedly, running up to that friendly donkey and hugging it. Carrot just excitedly emitted the characteristic donkey sound, happy to see Arrow again. It had been a long time since a reunion like this had happened in that Portuguese family, especially after Arrow had moved out with his boyfriend.

"Ah! How is my old friend? I missed you so much!" spoke the edgy boy, giving much affection to the donkey who did nothing but move very quickly and suddenly one of his ears. "Heh, he's fine, but he's a little thin..." replied Irina for the donkey with a slight worried tone. She didn't understand how he lost weight, she always fed him and the bucket of carrots and apples always showed up empty the next day. Was he sick?

"Hmm... Mice?" questioned the young man who very well knew his dear grandmother. "Impossible, all the mice that even come in are caught by the mousetraps and the neighbor's cat." she replied calmly, as worried as she was. It really didn't make sense, unless....