He holds my jaw to kiss me fleetingly yet firmly. When he releases, I turn back and mix some drops of oil into the water. "I'm glad you're here with me. I wasn't sure if you'd agree."

"I suppose I surprised myself as well, but the tub is much more comfortable with you to lie against." I put the oil in the drawer and move to be flush with him. "It's nice."

"It is very nice — very nice seeing you healthy again so suddenly. I haven't felt so relieved in some time."

"What about Gaius' message?" I question, changing the subject.

"I'll write back today."

He'll tell him we're coming, of course. The thought makes my nerves sink. "What if he asks to examine me for a witch's mark like Davra tried to? What about my scar?"

"If he suggests it, I'll refuse."

"How?"

"I won't permit another man to look upon your naked flesh. If he tried to do so to any Alpha's Luna, they would tell him the same."

I run my hand across the edge of the bath then let it fall into the water. "The bond has made you a romantic."

His arms envelop my waist. "Even before our bond I wanted to touch you, taste you, fuck—"

"Alexei." I turn again to face him.

"Make love to you. Does that sound more appetizing?" He gently kisses my neck, and I wriggle and revert forward from being tickled by his re-emerging facial hairs.

One of his hands strays and rests against my thigh. Luckily lying against him helps hide my vibrant blush. "I do prefer less crass words, thank you."

"We'll see what you prefer in time."

His fingers start to stroke up and down my thigh, leaning inward and making my belly knot. "I've never acted so intimately," I add, refusing to believe any possible hell inflicted by Tabitha's ritual was anything other than torture unto me.

"I know," he says. "But I've been gentle — moving slowly — haven't I?"

I nod. "You have, and I appreciate it."

"There's ample time. To rush would be to spoil."

My inner voice laughs mockingly when I consider believing him. I'm not feeling better — not truly; it's the blood, and my stomach will empty. His hold around my waist draws tight, and my stomach flips. "Relax," he tells me.

I can't. His fingers trace nearer, teasing between my legs. My shift waves up and down in the water, so I smooth it but it refuses to stay.

"Can I touch you?" He asks, sultry at my ear.

I lay an arm over his along my waist. I tilt my head back and say, "You can."

Alexei's fingers glide all the way up my inner thigh. I part my legs, and he does as he said, causing my hips to draw forward and pull my body down his chest. My toes curl, and my other hand hangs from the side of the tub. "Do you like that?" He asks, hitting the perfect spot.

I grip his wrist of the arm around me. "Was this your plan all along?"

"Something like this."

He pushes two fingers inside of me, and my hand clamps on the rim of the tub, imprinting my grip on the metal and shocking me entirely. I abandon my pleasure to scramble and spring up from the water. Alexei sees the imprint, and I quickly climb out with my drenched shift sticking to my body. "I-I.."

Alexei lifts, but I exit the bathroom in a panic before he's out of the bath. I trail wet footsteps into the bedchamber and pace aimlessly, crossing my arms as my adrenaline runs high. Alexei comes out.