Chapter 2

There was nothing my father would not spend or risk or sacrifice to win his decade-long war against Alpha Tophet. It is not the first war between our packs — rather one of many — and I continued where he left off even though I'm able to forfeit at any moment. With the God on our side, Tabitha and I chose to pursue victory; we will need it after all my father has lost, and such a success would raise my reputation that's currently based on rumors and opinions regarding my age and what lies between my legs.

Winning the war against Alpha Tophet consumes my dreams when they are not plagued by the God's unrelenting mind games. I wait anxiously for three days before news of our most recent battle makes its way home to our territory. A pair of messengers arrive at the gate, and I immediately allow their visitation and organize a meeting in the council room. I pace along the exterior wall while the messengers are delivered to me.

The door opens, but my excitement is given more time to brew as Tabitha enters. "Have you—"

"They're on their way now," I answer without the need to hear her question in its entirety.

"Very well," she breathes and moves to sit in one of the chairs tucked against the grand table. Our map and plans are still splayed about, but I have turned over certain parchments to heed caution.

Snow sprinkles from the overcast sky, a delicate movement hiding the truly lethal nature of our winters. The wolf form will sustain the soul with its thick coat, but as a human, we are left utterly vulnerable. Some Alphas stomp about the snow bare-chested and proud — convinced their blood is laced with immortality — yet they are merely thick-skulled and teetering on the edge of an icy death.

"Please say he's dead. Goddess, I beg you."

"There's no point in praying. The Goddess would never act against her beloved Alphas."

"He is not an Alpha. He is a blood-hungry savage in which the world would be better off without."

"Spoken just like your father," Tabitha jabs.

I halt my pacing and drop my wringing hands to my sides. "And suddenly you believe otherwise?"

"Would we be better off if he's dead? Yes. But your father did feed into his own dramatics. The man was taught to hate Alpha Tophet just as you were."

"With reason. Alpha Tophet and his ancestors ruthlessly climbed their way to the top no matter who they trampled to get there. My family had good land, and his own stole it as if they had as much of a right to it as Mother Nature. And they continued to do so to other packs."

"That was centuries ago. Besides, your grandfather was later offered compensation for the land in pursuit of peace, but he decided it wasn't enough."

"I know the history, Tabitha. Each time we have this conversation, you waste it defending him only to arrive at the same conclusion — he must be beaten. Honestly, he doesn't need you to argue for him, and I have no desire to listen."

"I'm not defending him. I'm trying to broaden your outlook. What you know is not the complete truth. Your knowledge has been tainted by the prejudice and hatred of the men before you."

"What is the truth, then? That Alpha Tophet is a selfless, deserving leader?"

Tabitha waves me off. "There's no point in reasoning with you. Let's just defeat him and be done with it."

"Oh, no," I insist, "answer my question."

Her harsh gaze pierces the air like a spear. "He is a callous, merciless, soulless monster just as most Alphas are — just as your father was. They are all the same, and I speak with the intent to make you different."