Dastardly Discoveries

The following day, at Frankie’s request, Venus, Robecca, and Rochelle headed to Miss Flapper’s classroom at lunchtime. They asked you to accompany them for the extra help, while you agreed to accompany them just to make sure they were safe. You didn't trust Miss Flapper and the fact that they were called to her class, you were skeptical.

Small golden cages, each containing a miniature dragon or lizard, lined the walls of the room. Dragon whispering was an ancient technique based on the idea that by reaching a certain octave, one could hypnotize a dragon into submission. But because it was rather dangerous, teachers often started students on lizards to minimize the risk of crispy skin spots or fried fur.

Venus: Well, at least the trolls are good with someone.

You watched two greasy beasts brush a miniature dragon’s teeth. Fire-breathing often left the mouth covered in a smoky residue.

Rochelle: I still cannot believe Clawdeen and Frankie finished the suit in twenty-four hours.

Robecca: Especially since it took you almost forty-eight hours just to destroy the fabric.

She stopped and realized what she said.

Robecca: Wait, that didn’t come out right.

Rochelle: Boo la la! It’s creeperific!

Rochelle squealed when she saw Clawdeen and Frankie approaching with their creation, a stunning goblin-green suit with silver stitches. You smiled at seeing your friends, but that smile slowly faded when you saw the same blank looks on their faces.

Venus: That is seriously fang-tastic.

Frankie and Clawdeen held up the beautiful garment.

Rochelle: Merci boo-coup! It’s perfect.

Rochelle clapped her hands in delight. And though she longed to run her thin gray fingers against the suit and feel the fabric, she didn’t dare, not after what had happened last time.

Clawdeen: Miss Flapper says the beauty of the suit lies in our own beauty. That is our talent.

Clawdeen spoke in a startlingly serious and monotone manner. She sounded so bored, which was unusual for Clawdeen when she was talking about fashion.

Frankie: Have you had a chance to join MALL yet?

You realized she had turned the question onto you, making you confused. That came out of nowhere. But they were both staring at you, so you quickly came up with an answer.

Y/N: No, but I plan to this afternoon. We’ve just been so caught up with this Mr. D’eath thing and schoolwork that I haven’t had time.

Frankje: Miss Flapper has an idea regarding your Mr. D’eath thing.

Frankie turned to staring at Rochelle directly in the eye.

Frankie: She would like us to arrange a date for the two of them.

Venus: No offense to Rochelle’s pet project, but Miss Flapper is very pretty. She’d really want to go on a date with a bony guy suffering from depression?

Clawdeen: Miss Flapper says that one is always to start with a monster’s heart.

Y/N: She must keep you guys really busy memorizing everything she says.

Just then Miss Flapper swept into the room, bringing with her an intoxicating wave of rose perfume. You subtly rested your hand on your sleeve, ready to activate your bracelet just in case.

Miss Flapper: Hello again. Have the ghouls told you of my idea?

Rochelle: Yes, they did. And I must say, I’m most thrilled. A date is just what Monsieur D’eath needs!