ೃ⁀➷ xii. dancing in the woods

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

the only thing astrid has ever expected, was the unexpected. she was an open-minded person, welcoming to the idea of change.

after being on the run for a thousand years, astrid gave up on the idea of having a routine. she decided to go with the wind, and what not. change was inevitable, she always told herself. be open to anything, she'd remind herself.

but when she got a call from caroline forbes, where the younger vampire demanded she showed up the help out organize the event since she was, technically, a founding family member. help what, you may ask? a beauty pageant.

the trirbrid—witch, vampire, werewolf, essentially the most powerful walking being on the planet—herself, organizing a beauty pageant.

the most shocking part?

when astrid arrived at the scene, 30-minutes later because she had to drink about 2 bottles of bourbon whilst going over the files caroline had sent her, she found herself enjoying the entire thing. she and caroline were on a roll as they commanded people left and right.

caroline was at the back, organizing where the pageant itself will be whilst astrid was at the front, preparing the entrance.

"whoa. stop. stop," astrid said as she saw three teenage girls walking to her direction, all of them holding flower pots. "those flowers go in the back, as indicated by the floral chart that you guys had plenty of time to memorize." she watched as they all slowly backed away, a bit terrified of the mysterious lockwood cousin that randomly showed up.

"now, how did i know i'd find you at the helm of this ship? you did always like commanding people."

astrid would deny it, but she froze when she heard his voice. she doesn't look up from her clipboard, however, as she says, "go away. i'm busy."

"i was wondering what time i should pick you up tomorrow."

a scoff is his response. "how about march thirty-nine two-thousand fifty seven."

"you and i both know we'll live until 2037," klaus says as astrid looks at him, rolling her eyes. "i was promised a date in return for one of my hybrids."

"a beauty pageant isn't exactly what i'd imagine out first date after a thousand years to be, niklaus."

he smiles at this. "and have you?"

"have i what?"

"imagine what our first date would be like?" astrid opens and closes her mouth, unable to come up with a witty remark or a snide comment to throw back at him. "did you imagine it'll be like the ones we used to have? frolicking around the woods and all?"

she feels the air leave her lungs and her heart refusing to pump blood, even if those two organs techinically no longer work for her. astrid stares at him, into his eyes, unable to say anything. because it was true.