1. Apologies & Forehead Kisses

I remember the time when I could no longer speak.

Life was a tedium of doctor's visits and bad news.

Smells of lavender and honey cut through the antiseptic, as a nurse at the ward's desk would share bright yellow cupcakes to her fellows. The smell like a sweet siren's call to those of us who could not even stand.

The hospice counselor would duck his head in a bright hopeful smile emerging from the corners of his lips only to drop when he saw no family members in my room.

They would not come, not after I had pushed them away.

Then the night came that I believed might be my last.

I woke from a dark dream to find the ward silent, midnight shadows streaming across my bed.

I turned on my side lamp and a frightening shadow stood over me.

I blinked as the cloaked figure seemed to flicker before brightening. Reminding me of the old films that would be shown in the community rooms; Space knights, forbidden love and ancient holograms. Old tech made to look new.

I mentally shook my head and the shadow 'hologram' gestured to my speech-tech.

My fingers twitched and the sensors came alive.

As I tapped, my question came forth in a posh accent, -Are you Death?-

The figure tilted its head before responding in a soft but impossibly deep voice, "I once thought I was. I'm here to offer you a second chance."

My chest pricked with needle-like pain.

If I could have laughed I would have, instead I decided to humor him. -Why me?-

This time as the figure shifted, I caught a pair of almost glowing golden eyes beneath the cowl-like hood. Memories of a well-read bound book that had sat upon my mother's bookshelf, then bequeathed to me to be loved, flickered through my mind. Of a man... a lonely man and a doomed romance.

"Carter..." The voice seemed to crack, as glowing eyes shifted to where my heart monitor showed my HR had dropped drastically in just a few short moments, "You don't have much time. You must say yes."

-How you do know me?-

The machine beside me began beeping as my vitals continued to drop.

The cloaked figure slammed his fist against the wall behind my bed, but no sound was heard.

A frustrated growl escaped from his bowed head.

-What will happen?-

Words through clenched teeth. "They would like me to say you will be born anew..."

-Who...- No, that wasn't what I wanted to say. -Would I still die?-

His gloved hands clenched at his sides.

Only a whisper came in response, "No."

My eyes began to flutter shut as the machine let out a shrill call.

"Say yes, Carter!"

-Ye...-

Before I lost consciousness, the figure bent over me that if he'd been there he'd have brushed his lips against my forehead.

Faint words came as my world turned to black, "I won't be sorry...I can't be without you Carter...forgive me..."

The  next time I woke I was in excruciating pain as if every piece of myself  was being rewritten, torn apart and pieced back together

The next time I woke I was in excruciating pain as if every piece of myself was being rewritten, torn apart and pieced back together.

This would continue for an insurmountable amount of time before I would wake to daylight and find that everything had changed.