4

Talia sat shifting uncomfortably in the stone circle.

Most of the first years were seated with their suite mates, leaving her to perch atop a tall stone near the edge of the circle.

Dowling was speaking clearly, but Talia's mind wasn't processing the sound reaching her ears.

Her hands shook, her heartbeat roared in her ears, along with the heartbeats of every other student in the circle.

Dowling had been calling fairies by element to channel their powers through the vessel, Talia's attention finally snapped when things seemed to pause.

Bloom, apparently a fire fairy, stood at the vessel, struggling to produce a single spark.

"How about your parents?"

Aisha suggested.

"Focus on how much you love them?"

Bloom seemed to ponder this and continue, but only a few smoldering embers appeared for a split second.

"It's not working."

Bloom decided.

"Stop thinking. Magic comes from-"

"Emotions. I've been listening. I know what I'm supposed to do."

Bloom interrupted Dowling sharply, clearly distraught by the spectacle she was causing.

"It's not happening. Can you please move on?"

Dowling sighed, but dipped her head in agreement.

"A final element, the rarest of them all, darkness."

Murmurs spread through the group, as Dowling motioned for Talia to approach the vessel.

She shook so much her teeth chattered, her stomach felt sick.

But she approached the vessel nonetheless, carefully placing her hands on it.

Darkness immediately started billowing from it like smoke, forming a column, growing higher and higher.

A shriek of fear caused her to jump, her hands snapping from the vessel to her sides.

"Let me be clear."

Dowling said, commanding the attention back to her.

"There are many legends, many scary ghost stories about dark fairies. None of them true. Talia is just like any of you other first years, gifted with an element, and here to learn."

Talia quickly retreated to her rock as Dowling spoke, hugging her arms to her sides, resisting the urge to take off running towards the school.

Dowling spoke a few more words, then dismissed the group, urging them to be punctual to their next class.

Talia noticed Bloom hanging back to speak to Dowling, but decided against eavesdropping, hurrying towards the fairy hall.

Arithmetic was supposed to be next for many of the first years, but Talia had tested out of it, her palace education superior to many of the general education courses at Alfea.

So she used her free period to spend time in the library.

She had a feeling she'd be spending most of her time there, it was quiet, and lowly lit.

Perfect.

She skimmed for awhile, searching for something that caught her eye, before plucking a tome from the runes section.

Runes was next in her class schedule, so she figured she'd better brush up.

"Skipping classes first day? You are trouble."

She looked up to see another first year, an air fairy from earlier, standing above her.

The girl was pretty, chestnut hair, darkly lined eyes, and a thin frame.

She was smiling, but somehow her smile didn't seem too friendly.

It seemed calculating.

"Actually I tested out."

Talia responded, trying not to squirm under the girls gaze.

"Ah, me as well, honestly you'd think for the greatest school in the realm the courses would be harder."

The girl placed herself in the seat across from Talia, extending a hand over the table in proper greeting.

"I'm Beatrix, air fairy. No need to introduce yourself, the whole school knows who you are, and you only put on your little show an hour ago."

Talia sighed at that, picturing the students in the hall giving her a wide berth, not wanting to be near the vampire fairy.

That's what people had called her growing up.

Dowling was kind, choosing to use a gentler name for her element, but those people weren't wrong.

She was a blood sucking, shadow producing, freak.

"So you know who, and what, I am but you're choosing to sit with me in an empty library?"

Beatrix rolled her eyes.

"You don't seem so scary."

She responded cockily.

"Anyways I thought we could be friends, us bad girls ought to stick together, right?"

Talia smirked at the girls forwardness.

Maybe this air fairy wasn't so bad.

Hey guys! It's been a minute. Hope you're liking this story and Talia. Anyone else super bummed there won't be a third season? 😢